Freightliner Cascadia '20 bunk heater not heating

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Dennis143, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Dennis143

Dennis143 Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Hello guys I'm still with the issue and can't fix it.

When interior control working and when I put engine on max heat it is doesn't stop until heaters shows 2 o'clock. My problem is when engine is off, interior comfort is off bunk heater must be working if button in sleeper is pressed. Does someone know where the fuse from bunk heater is located it feels like control signals not being received, bunk heater not making any sound. what are common issues for bunk heater. Thank you so much.

joseph1853 and gurpreetrandhawa23 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Interior comfort mode is still working when engine stops. It should restart the engine when sleeper cools down some. The dash heater and fan control don't work. Everything is run from the sleeper controls. Their is a temperature sensor in sleeper. If you turn sleeper fan on halfway. It will keep air moving even when engine stops in the sleeper. Then when engine starts again the front dash fan will come on also at same speed as sleeper fan setting.

When the engine stops the diesel burning heater is supposed to turn on and take over and run on the batteries for 6-8 hours. If that heater won't fire up then it should start the engine again once sleeper cools some.

I usually set heat side to 3 o'clock in sleeper and set fan speed to 10 o'clock

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  4. Scott W Lewis

Scott W Lewis Bobtail Member

May 12, 2021

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  5. Scott W Lewis

Scott W Lewis Bobtail Member

May 12, 2021
    I had to have the diesel bunk heater repaired on my 2021 just a few weeks ago. It took some persuasion to even get my service manager to even go out to my truck to confirm that the epu diesel heater did not work. Unfortunately, I was not privy to what was involved in the actual repairs. I'm working on that.

As for your truck, its a new truck, it should be under warranty. Pester your road service or service manager to get it fixed. In the meantime, in comfort mode, the truck runs main engine when the temp falls something like 5 degrees below your thermostat setting when in the heat mode.

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    My company shop replaced my heater on my 2020 at about 180,000 miles. They said when you turn the heater off or it turns off by itself. It shuts down completely and basically is overheating. They say said it was turning into heatsink. Because it won't pump the coolant to cool the heater. They said freightliner needs to reprogram them or they should pay for the $800 replacement heater

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  7. gurpreetrandhawa23

gurpreetrandhawa23 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Hey,
    Did you get that matter resolved?
    I am having same issue.Thanks

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  8. ARSHKGANGURA

ARSHKGANGURA Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2023
    Hello Dennis,

I am getting the same problem with on my Freightliner Cascadia. The heat keeps running for 10-15 minutes and then it blows cold air. If I again turn the fan off and turn it on, it goes for 10-15 minutes again. What could be wrong. I believe you figured what was wrong on your truck. If anyone can help. Thank you

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  9. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    My heater stopped working recently and turned out to be the batteries.

10. emukic91

emukic91 Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Yea same issues in my 2019 cascadia with parksmart. My a/c runs whenever I press the Park button in the back with or without optimized idle. But the heat will never work. I replaced fuel pump 300$. I replaced hvac controller 177$ and with or without optimized idle my pump will not click and the heater underneath truck never makes a d... sound. Is replacing the heater next?

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  11. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Well after further examination turns out it wasn't the batteries. They reset something with there computer and it worked once but then didn't work the second time I tried it. So I took it back to the TA and they said they think it's the ignitor screen that needs to be cleaned. But they don't do that sort of thing. Said it's out of there scope of repair. So it's sitting at the freightliner liner right now. Told them what the TA said and so there working on it hopefully tomorrow. Will see if that fixes it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.