Freightliner Cascadia Coolant Leak

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by B$moove2U, Mar 31, 2019.

1. B$moove2U

B$moove2U Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2019
    Need Some expertise. I’ve been dealing with a off and on coolant leak for over a year. I have had multiple techs search for a leak but come up empty each time. I’ve had coolant pressure test done with no leakage. The coolant leaks under the driver side fuel tank. Sometimes when I park on level ground, the truck doesn’t leak but other times it will after sitting a day. I’ve parked it on inclines and declines and at times it will never leak but other times it will. I’ve had shops try almost everything but nothing has cured the issue. Sometimes I have to put 2 bottles of coolant in my truck due to leak. Where the hell could the coolant be leaking out of? The only thing that seems reasonable is the coolant is leaking from somewhere connected to my thermoking apu. There’s no coolant in the fuel neither so I’m baffled. I just wake up or arrive to my truck with a small puddle of coolant under the driver side portion of my cab below the fuel tank. Again I’ve done pressure line tests and nothing comes out anywhere.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    its the two plastic coolant lines from air compressor to block on the drivers side. they are very known issues

4. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Yes, it is either one of those two hoses, or the valve on top of the DEF tank. Look on top of the DEF tank and if it is wet there, that is the problem. If not then almost guaranteed it is one of the other two lines that also routinely go bad. Do yourself a favor and replace both at the same time, they don't cost much and only take a minute to replace.

jacobstarowski and B$moove2U Thank this.
  5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    The factory ac/heat unit for the bunk is also on that side. Bottom of cabinets, just behind driver seat.
    Possible that the heater core or lines could be leaking.

B$moove2U Thanks this.
  6. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Good info here, you can also use coolant dye to check for this kind of leak.

Please move this tread to Freightliner forum.

B$moove2U Thanks this.
  7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    My sleeper heater core leaked in that exact location. Easy to change. They are only made of plastic-aluminum and prone to leaking. Two months after I changed it, the front one went too.

B$moove2U Thanks this.
  8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    B$moove2U Thanks this.
  9. B$moove2U

B$moove2U Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2019
    How do I move it? I’m new to this site, well posting questions that is.

10. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Anyone knows the part numbers for these 2 hoses? I tried to look them up on dtna but can't seem to find them, searched for coolant hose and only heater hoses come up. Also are they difficult to replace? I notice coolant leak in this area today just want to prepare if truck has to be down for a day or two.

11. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    just call a dealer, get part number, then call truck pro

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.