Freightliner Century 07 DD60 with Meritor 10 speed.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by izifaddag, Jul 13, 2018.

1. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Very interesting thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    Haha a way of life.

thaistick Thanks this.
  4. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    Update.

Ok so my lash up got me to Hammond, IN and I was able to make the delivery. I then went to forum member Nasriz and waited for a little while to get my turn.
    Nas diagnosed the new selector as defective. He told me that he had wrestled with this problem in the past and on a previous nightmare he had 3 defective handles in a row. At which point he came up with a bypass.
    Inside the gear change handle there is a tiny printed circuit board with a micro relay. It is made by Panasonic and is double pole double throw. For anyone interested it is a TX2-L2-12V it is rated at 12v at 2 amps. Inside there are 2 switches and 2 coils operating those switches. At rest the switch should make contact and then when voltage is applied the switch will close. Depending where the range selector switch is will dictate the micro relay action.
    Last night I did some research on the micro relay. On the Digi Key website they give the internal circuit of the relay. Sure enough one switch was completely open circuit in the rest position. As far as I can tell that is wrong.
    So that proves that Nasriz is correct. Freightliner are selling defective range selector handles at god know how much money a go.
    Unfortunately I have been having steadily increasing problems with my range selector despite the work around. I am now stuck. I had to drop 2 loads. I cannot reliably change range anymore. At one point yesterday I completely blocked a road because I could not get either top or bottom range.
    I wish I knew more about the reason FL are using this micro relay. It seems pointless and the circuit is a simple one just as Nasriz says. 2 solenoids operated by 12 volts switched in and out as needed.
    I am praying that there is nothing else going on and that I have not destroyed my gearbox with all this stuff. I don't see how this could happen but who knows.
    Anyway I shall check Nas's soldering today and hope for the best.
    Also for some reason my photos have been taken down.

Bean Jr., thaistick and daf105paccar Thank this.
  5. MzShelly

MzShelly Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2017
    What was the outcome ?

6. charchri4

charchri4 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2020
    Dave I would very much like to know who your mechanic is! I'm stuck in Phoenix with my meritor not changing ranges.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    He's hung up his tools. Try W.W.Wiliiams on 19th Ave. Very competent.

Bean Jr. and charchri4 Thank this.
  8. charchri4

charchri4 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2020
    I noticed in the back of the housing where the solenoid go on the trans there are 2, 1/4 plugs. I pulled it apart and looked to see where those air channels go and sure enough one each to each side of the piston. So with 15 feet of air hose, 2 little ball valves and a makeshift manifold I'm rolling again. Been running that way for 4 months and never skipped a beat. I'd like to fix it right but not sure how to

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.