Freightliner Columbia drag link dilemma

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by bruce25, Aug 12, 2022.

1. bruce25

bruce25 Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2014
    I have been having issues with dot inspection every time i go in they will check the drag link be able to twist it back and forth and tell me it's bad. I would replace my 1 year old one with new one go in they can still twist it and fail me again for past few years i been having these issues and i had enough. I just had a mobile guy do a dot at my house yesterday was able to twist it passed me but told me to replace it. I know my way around the trucks jesus i just did engine rebuild I'm not retarded drag links sit on ball joints they are ment to be able to twist with out any other play or clunking . But just for ####s i got a new one from dealer today and guess what i can twist it i forgot to record a video today but no one believes me when i tell then that's how it's supposed to be. I will record a video of a brand new drag link tomorrow either they are crazy or i am and yes it takes two hands and good enough force to twist my old one and new one. And to add no play in pit arm steering box or any other components as they are all new everything is solid tight

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wait …

let’s explain how to inspect a drag link first.

there is two things that have to be considered one is rotating motion of the drag link and the other is a lateral motion of the drag link.

the important movement is the lateral movement, not the rotating movement.

Lateral movement is measured by a force of 50lbs aligned with the ball joins, you grab it and push and pulled it, any movement it fails. 50lbs is a lot of force by the way.

The rotating movement according to the freightliner, Daimler, volvo, mack, SAE and the NHTSA DOES NOT MATTER AND ISN’T USED TO DETERMINE THE CONDITION OF THE DRAG LINK.

There is no limit to what constitutes the amount of force needed to rotate the link.

Now what I am reading from you quote is you are replacing the drag link solely on the rotating motion of it and NOT the lateral movement.

IF THE PERSON DOING THE INSPECTION IS TELLING YOU TO REPLACE IT AND IT DOESN’T FAIL THE LATITUDE TEST THEN HE/SHE IS IGNORANT TO THE ENGINEERING OF THE DRAG KINK AND THE OUT OF SERVICE CRITERIA SET FOR A FAILURE POINT IN THE SUSPENSION/STEERING INSPECTION,

If you want to know more, both the SAE and the NHTSA has specific papers on this.

4. bruce25

bruce25 Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2014
    I agree 100% i know what bad ball joints do replaced tons on cars they are solely basing on twisting motion which what drag links do. Of course if it was twisting with ease not staying in place and clunking i would understand but that isn't happening. I will be uploading video this afternoon speedco failed me last week telling me it supposed to be solid no movement at all i almost lost my #### trying to explain ball joints are not supposed to be rock solid.

AModelCat and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    This is why hacks shouldn't be allowed to do inspections.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    They’re probably not used to seeing one that’s greased. I have to ask what States has this happened?

bruce25 Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm not one for government regulation but at least up here inspections can only be done by a certified shop and not some random person with a Harbor Freight toolset.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    spsauerland Thanks this.
  8. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    If you can try clocking the ends opposite each other just a few degrees to take up a little more slack when the twisting is done to them. Makes them “feel” tighter to the tards. Lol.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Find another place to inspect the truck.

bruce25 Thanks this.
  10. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Sorry you have to deal with idiots. We have similar problems here.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.