Freightliner Supertruck II

Discussion in 'Other News' started by mjd4277, Feb 3, 2023.

1. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Be watching for it piggybacked on a Chicano train headed to MEX, this weekend.

That’s not a Freightliner innovation, though.

Stoneridge Products | MirrorEye® Camera Monitor System (CMS)

Available on other brands, too.
    56FEBD2D-DE43-42CD-80C4-E90199849034.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    I’m wondering if they’re long-term testing them for failures, since they still have the regular door mirrors. I see their hood mirrors are gone on the trucks running the cameras.

Guys, like Joel Morrow, have proven standard mirrors can still turn in great fuel economy numbers.

I’d rather have standard mirrors, too.

4. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I really like the new camera mirrors. I have thought about upgrading my truck with them but will most likely do it on my next truck. The software can track the back of the trailer as well. It also is much better when it is raining and dark out and that is the real reason I would like to get them.

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    So are the camera lenses heated and have washers rigged up…….?

I’d bet not…….

6. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    The couple people that I know have videos of it when raining and ice weather and have had no issues. It is in the design of the way the camera is held that protects it.

Rideandrepair, D.Tibbitt and ducnut Thank this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    I’m leary of them. Not because it’s new tech, but, because of reliability. These trucks run on so many modules and CAN bus, which is where the vast majority of the problems lie. I can see the control module taking a dump and being down for weeks, waiting on parts.

However, I’d love to demo a truck with them, for a week.

8. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Saying that is an issue is saying you would be worried about driving a truck as is now. They all have the same electronics that you described in them now. By the way that brand is the only one approved by the government to run only cameras. It is not that new of tech but it is getting better now and I think will be normal in 10 years.

9. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    I AM concerned about driving today’s trucks. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, these PACCARs are steaming piles of garbage. The two Gen 2’s who park to my right are still in the shop, as of Monday when I left out. The driver who I alternate with on this contract is having issues with his, now. He works out of our HQ terminal where there are several Gen 2 tractors. He said they can’t keep them on the road. My Gen 1 showed roughly a dozen codes, when scanned ~2wks ago. Had another CEL, this morning! They’re bad.

10. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    My only concern would be who can fix them if you do have an issue. I know lots of local people that can do anything with electronics, so I would be ok if I was around home. If on the road I do not believe they have a good network yet. Once they get a good network I would be in for sure.

Rideandrepair, D.Tibbitt and ducnut Thank this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I’m sure any truck stop hack could fix that camera system

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.