Freightliner vs. Peterbilt

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Richie5, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Richie5

Richie5 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2018
    I am interested in a truck (class 8), but I would need some driving perfomance parameters to decide easily. Therefore I would need information about gradeability, fuel consumption, acceleration, braking distance and so on. I only could find information about technical specifications like type of engine, type of transmission and so on, but nothing in detail about the complete vehicle performances in real driving. I am thinking about a truck from Freightliner or Peterbilt.

Can someone help me, where i can find such information - like in a specific truck magazine or a specific homepage?

Thank you very much.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You can't look at this like Ford F250 vs Chevy 2500. There are literally hundreds of different powertrain combos available on each truck model. You can park 2 Peterbilt 379's side by side. One could have a 350hp Cummins and the other could have a 625hp Cat. Or they could both have 530 Cummins but one could be putting power through 2.64 rears and the other could have 4.10's.

There is no specific, hard and fast answer to any of your questions.

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm in full agreement with post #3 in this thread. However I think the best thing you can do is contact the closest OEM dealers and ask a salesman for both. Then sit down and figure out who you will buy from.

Richie5 Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I do well in either one. I had a FLD 120 I ran the hell out of. Go through a alternator every other month. 45 minutes drop in a new one and go. The front end is a bit of a glass jaw, easily knocked out of alignment if you abuse it.

The Pete 379 on the other hand. Loves to mark it's territory. Drip drip drip. Gets a little stiff in winter snows. which isnt a bad thing when things a dancing a little bit on ice. And there is a certain amount of thinking that goes on with the 70 some gauges on two dashboards with half the passenger side taken by a huge fuse box. Everything is easy fix more or less.

Both trucks are beautiful to me. Because that is what I consider ... er.. top class.

Now when you get into today's casterated emssions fluid sloshing tractors that are overbuilt plastic and cannot hardly do anything without dispatcher saying ok? It's not for me.

Let's not leave Kenworth in the cold Give me a nice W900 studio or something. There was a time all three major truck builders did right.

nitetride379x and Richie5 Thank this.
  7. Richie5

Richie5 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Thank you.
    That is for sure, that there may be not one concrete hard fact answer for that, but I thought maybe there are some examples available for kind a "standard version" anywhere.
    Especially, because I could find such information for european trucks - but of course, that´s not very helpful :D

@Moose1958 looks like, that´s the only way - Thanks

8. Colt6920

Colt6920 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Yup.
    Just a few of the things that will affect your criteria:
    Engine
    Trans
    Rear end Ratio
    Sleeper size
    Aero treatments
    Jake Brakes
    Brake type/brand
    Tires
    Axles (number and type)
    Load weight
    Trailer type
    Trailer age
    Trailer brand
    Trailer jankiness
    Trailer specs
    etc.

Richie5 Thanks this.
  9. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You build a truck for its specific purpose. No two are alike.

Richie5 Thanks this.
  10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I enjoy reading your tales, even if they do challenge reality, like cabovers going 125 mph downhill in Indiana and putting 20 chains on a coil. If you had 1/10 the experience you claim you do, you would recognize the problems with these 2 statements. An alternator is expensive, even doing your own work. I've owned 5 trucks for a total of 10 1/2 years of ownership. I have replaced 2 alternator. 1 because of failure and 1 because a mounting ear broke. Replacing alternator every other month is not normal, why wouldn't you have tried to find out why it was burning through alternator so fast?

Peterbilt of old only had one thing they manufactured that held any kind of fluid and that's the power steering. All other sources of leaks are made by somebody else and it wouldn't matter what kind of truck it is in.

11. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    You are new to the trucking industry it sounds like ??? Or new to driving in general commercially ? Any experienced professional driver can do well with either it comes down to driver comfort more than anything else. Im currently in a KW T680 and love it !!! I drove a couple Petes and didnt care much for them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.