Fresh in frame, firing her up at Rawze's for 1st time!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Justrucking2, May 31, 2018.

1. Commander1

Commander1 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Is that really smart running a fresh motor up that high? Hell, I wouldn’t run a broke in motor that high.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    That is how you do it, it passes or fails. I built it, and torqued every nut and bolt, it better handle it, and she did.

I took the truck in to a shop to have some brake work done here in Atlanta, the shop manager drove the truck to make sure all was good. He came back smiling, as he said he has never driven a truck with that much HP. I did not have the heart to tell him that 600hp motor was set at 450hp and 1650 torque. He thought he had a tiger by the tail. That is what good tuning does, and a well built motor, KNOCK ON WOOD.

I ran this motor with a 650HP Rawze.com competition tune on it for a few days, it would smoke the tires at 65 mph with a load on. This was prior to any in frames and the liner was already fretted with a bad head. What the hell, the motor was already toast. Ever see your tires spin in the mirror and burn smoke? I have. ;-)

PoleCrusher, Lepton1 and driverdriver Thank this.
  4. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Yes, I in framed the motor with help from Rawze, of Rawze.com. He machined the block, helped with the head removal and install and said "Watch my videos". Yes, I did all of the work myself other than when it took two sets of hands to do the work. No one here babysitting me or directing me. 30 days of solid rain, nearly 4 weeks for parts, and I think I did pretty good. KNOCK ON WOOD. ;-)

5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    It is always BEER:30. ;-)

PoleCrusher Thanks this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    You did good... but why speedco ?

Why not do the oil yourself too ?

Ruthless Thanks this.
  7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Fair question, we went to Speedco for the convenience. I'm in Rawze's driveway, and it is easier to dispose of the oil at Speedco. We also test drove the truck on the way there, put her through her paces, which uncovered the brake chamber issues, all have been replaced, along with slack adjusters and brake air lines, and four new tires. I also had "Speedco" change out the transmission oil too, replaced with 80-90w, 18 speed transmission is much smoother now with the heavier oil, she really likes it.

And speaking of Speedco, they need to remove the "Speed" from their name. Since Love's has taken them over and pretty much fired everyone, doing my own oil changes is now looking like a real possibility. We went up there twice for oil changes, my truck and Rawze's truck, both times, 6+ hours. There is nothing "Speedy" about Speedco any longer. And they no longer post their pricing in the shop for an oil change. I will try the one in Perrysburg OH at the old T-5, been going there since they opened, and will see if the same infection has set in there as it has at the Jackson GA branch.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Sounds like a lunch counter story...

9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    He does not kid about trucking. He drives 35mph most times because of bad roads in the country.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  10. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I was wondering about that. I usually don't do my own for the same reasons as you. I used to take my Ram pickup to the Speedco in Conley GA if I couldn't get enough coupons or impose my persuasive good looks on the Dodge service writer to get a fair quote. The new Love's branding looked sketchy, and the dealer wasn't cooperative, so i did the last one in my driveway.

Any more, timing is everything for truck stop service bays. They just stay busy all the time. I haul a reefer, so midnight to dawn is always a good time for me. Failing that, mid-day after all the morning breakdowns leave, and before the sunset breakdowns roll in. Or the weekend, especially in the morning. I've run the 50 miles up to Commerce just to get a no-wait PM service or tires at the TA on a Sunday morning.

BTW nice work and thanks for sharing.

Tug Toy and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  11. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I don’t do lunch counters and the reason I removed that program ASAP. And yes, I have the tools to flash or adjust the Cummins ECM.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.