Fresh in frame, firing her up at Rawze's for 1st time!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Justrucking2, May 31, 2018.

1. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Give the man his moment. He just got back. Hey @Justrucking2 enjoy your beer. Good job. Thanks for the updates.

RedForeman, magoo68, Lepton1 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Really? LOL! I hope I get there. So far, so good. When did you last rebuild a motor? And how is she doing? This was my first attempt, and I own IT. ;-)

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Hey, he is a stick in the mud. I have photos! LOL!

5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I had to go back to you... Honestly, you need to call Cummins, PACCAR, Volvo and International. I am sure they could use your wisdom and put it to good work... Oh, Caterpillar too... They kind of blew it. ;-)

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Are you refering to the mechianics or the companys?

All im saying is it might be a bit early to toot your own horn. Good for ya for doing you own engine, but to throw all mechianics with 20+ years under the bus with only doing one engine is a bit far.....

7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Tooting my horn? #### straight I am TOOTING MY HORN! I tore it down, rebuilt it and drove it roughly 1000 miles and it made it in one piece and I doubled my fuel mileage to boot!

As far as your "mechanic" or "Manufacturer" comment...

The "mechanic" that in framed my motor 25 months ago to the day had twenty + years under his belt. Licensed Cummins shop, and he was a certified Cummins mechanic with certificates out the rear end.

I asked them to machine the block, to set the liners, per Cummins, he did not, just threw the liners in. The injector and valve cam, call for Loc-Tite 609, that was not used, as the injector cam gear skipped a tooth and being a split gear was going to fail in the front structure. When that failed, which it was near doing when the bolts and springs broke lose, the motor was toast. Looking at the bearings, the motor was dry started, no pre-lube as per Cummins. Again, a Cummins certified "mechanic". This same "mechanic" told me when they started my motor for the first time it sounded like a rod was going to come out of the side of the block, black smoke everywhere...

Here is when I started my fresh in frame...

The first turn of the key... 20 seconds if that...

The second attempt... Hear any rod knock, black smoke? The knock you are hearing is the gear train and the air compressor interacting. The knock everyone hears in a Cummins is not the air compressor, it is the front structure gears.

No smoke. Drives like a raped ape.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I sure do like reading this. Cummins from new do not run right, Cummins when rebuilt do not run right. Yet you justtrucking2 and Rawze made the first Cummins I've ever saw that will run true. I am curious how the mpg works out later. And maybe you could do a dyno run in time.
    I wonder what your torque is? Since Rawze can do crazy tunes such as the one weird one that I think is 490hp 2350tq tune if im correct that is very interesting.

Justrucking2 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Most people don't get what a difference a properly set up engine/tune makes, because they never drove one. I had a lot less done on my MXS cat (475 stock to a 550 "tweaked" brake saver), new turbos, overhead, a few other minor details, and the difference was huge. Not just on power, but how the power comes on, how smooth the idle is, everything. That was 200k ago and now at 1,065,000 and just as strong, smooth, and quiet.

10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    She runs like a raped ape. I filled up in Chattanooga, so far I have put 700 miles on the truck, she is right at 3/4 on the fuel gauge. Normally I would be at 1/2 a tank. The computer said 7.2 mpg going down, coming back the computer said 11.4 mpg. The tune is the 450hp 1650 torque with some modifications to the turbo and fueling tables. She jumps off the line, and no it will not smoke the tires. Rawze can do some crazy stuff if you let him, the man is a programing genius and knows these motors.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  11. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    That is what these guys do not understand, you get a great tune, you can have a tiger by the tail. And if strong enough, you will smoke a tire.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.