Fresh out of the penitentiary

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by big_rig_ambition, Sep 25, 2011.

1. MattMichigan

MattMichigan Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've seen guys pulled straight outta the company truck, put in handcuffs and hauled off to jail. 6 months later....right back behind the same steering wheel?!? After reading this thread and some of your posts, I have no doubt you're a smarter man than some of the dip**** felons I've seen driving trucks. It is a FACT there are drivers with DUI's and felonies that are making an honest living driving a truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MattMichigan

MattMichigan Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My advice for obtaining a cdl and a decent job is to find a small oilfield service co. You can study for the written test and when you're ready to take the driving test ask your company to let you use one of their trucks. Get out in the patch and ruffneck it for awhile. Those guys are proud to be "oilfield trash"

4. dirtyfoot

dirtyfoot Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Erick, Ok
    well you also have to take in the fact that alot of companies run into Canada and they will refuse you entry into Canada with a felony conviction...Most companies will not even look at you unless the DUI is at the minimum 10 years old...And you are going to have to wait until the felony conviction is atleast 5 years old...

5. big_rig_ambition

big_rig_ambition Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2011

i lol'd

thanks for the post, im still hitting people up out here, but my #### job has me working 6 days a week most weeks so i dont have as much time to pursue this as i would like. all in due time tho.

truckers for the win.

6. Gisquid

Gisquid Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Fort Carson, CO
    Check out with the people that you have to report to about heavy equipment operating!! There are a ton of people out of the pen doing this. Have this exp and a CDL and you will be good to hook!!!

big_rig_ambition Thanks this.
  7. fancypants

fancypants Medium Load Member

Apr 14, 2010
    nw pa
    A good place to start looking would be Logging/Scrap yards (dump,roll off trks)/Gravel co. dumps an trailers. alot run pit to pit will work for you. Good luck to ya.

8. diesel101

diesel101 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2011
    mundelein il
    what company do u work for?

9. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    The one with one truck. :biggrin_25522:

10. monkeysnana

monkeysnana Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Big-Rig, I know where you are. Unfortunately, I think it will be a tough hard road. My husband has a felony (non-drug/dwi related) from 19 years ago. We have a few good leads since it had nothing to do with drugs or alcohol, but those charges will be tough to over come. Hey, I of all people believe in second chances, and man I wish you the best. I understand the companies points on it, liability and all, but I really do wish you the best. If it is what you want and you are seriously cleaned up, keep after it and don't take no. You might be better off with a small local company to get you started if you can find one to give you that chance.

11. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    There was a guy in my truckin class that had a felony conviction. Can't remember what it was or how long ago but he got on with Boyd Brothers. Our instructor told him it was probably his best chance as others with past indiscretions had been placed with them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.