Fresh out of the penitentiary

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by big_rig_ambition, Sep 25, 2011.

1. end of the road

end of the road Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Northern Canada
    With that felony you can travel to almost any other country in the world but the two largest trading partners in the world have this crazy wall up for convicted felons.

Some guy gets caught with a splif when he is 19 and can no longer enter the US and somebody in the US gets caught driving home from the hockey game after 3 beers and gets a DUI and no longer is allowed in Canada. I understand security but somewhere common sense needs to prevail.

48Packard and SheepDog Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zebcohobo

zebcohobo Vincent Van Gopher

Jul 19, 2010
    Redbank,SC
  4. Old Tom

Old Tom Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2010
    SW Ontario
    Big Rig

I noticed that you had a fair resume of IT work, but you said you couldn't re-enter that field. I'm wondering why??

You're obviously a bright guy, would your money not be better invested in upgrading your IT skills, then going on from there. I think a lot of that stuff is contracted out these days and you could set your self up as a Contractor, probably working from home. You might have to be creative about your recent experience, and phrase it as:
    "2010 - 2011 Developed time study for AR Dept of Corrections"

The trucking gig is going to be a very, very, long, hard slog for you (or anyone else in your position) with minimum financial reward for several years to come. I certainly wish you luck.

5. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Good for you. I wish you luck.

I use to haul meat. I've been to a few prisons. Them guys eat good. :)

6. bulletproof77

bulletproof77 Medium Load Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Victorville, CA
    Hey....Network engineers are in demand nowadays...A LOT more than truck drivers..And since they don't "go back" the normal 10 years, I would sure look into the whole computer business before I'd consider trucking. It's unfortunate, but you are looking at a few years at least, of being "used and abused" by the worst the trucking industry has to offer. Keep your cool and just try and remember the so called "big picture"..Also contact a Teamster local in your area. We have construction training programs that can train you on water trucks, stuff like that to start. Be upfront with them, maybe one of those locals can give you a "hand up"..

7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    ok im back but, lost my train of thought lol
    so i'll start with the last post. yes why not move foward with your IT career far more$$$$ to be made there and probably work from home.
    matter of fact i usually tell people who ask me bout trucking STAY AWAY really! cause it will be a long time before you make any $$ barely enough to eat let alone pay any bills, for at least a year.
    on top of being treated like a scumb bag just because you drive a truck for a living. and its that way ( treatment) for us good drivers most of the time. also you should consider the fact that after all the major hurdles you'r gunna have jump you may not even like trucking i've spoken to a lot! of people how after less than a year realized its was'nt for them and not even close to to what they expected trucking would be. all this after spending thousands of dollars to get their cdl and learn to drive, life on the road aint what it used to be.:biggrin_25513:

8. bulletproof77

Oct 2, 2009
    Victorville, CA
    And I'm amazed that everyone responding to this post has been pretty cool...Normally....the response is pretty bad, including mine. This guy seems sincere though..

9. bulletproof77

Oct 2, 2009
    Victorville, CA
    PLUS...think about how hard it is for the average person with years of experience, clean (squeaky clean) records, TWIC, HazMat, references..It is EXTREMELY hard for even one of those drivers (myself included) to even consider changing jobs in this economy..And we hate to see the bottom feeders swallow up someone else..

10. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    I agree bulletproof77,
    witch is why im not sure i should suggest this. yes..... wait for it............
    cr england yup i said it,lol and this is why i do. they (england) are always very eager to get someone into the lease program. this might be his (big-rig) only way in the door, although we all know you (big-rig) will probably always be in a bent over picking up the soap position with these poeple. go back and read the post on england big-rig before you consider this. you'll most likly fail on their lease(flease)program i think maybe 1 in a few thousand make it and it maybe the only way even for england to give you a shot and that is to dangle the lease carrot in front of them. the reason i say this is because of your charges being so resent. no matter where you get in, you'll be used and abused as bulletproof77 stated, its sad to say but, its the TRUTH
    well im hungry guess i'll fix dinner early cya

11. 7122894003481

7122894003481 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2011
    If it came to working for CR England or going back to prison, Id probably pick prison.:biggrin_2559:

harleymanjax and walstib Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.