Fresh out of the penitentiary

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by big_rig_ambition, Sep 25, 2011.

1. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    lol!!!!!!!!!!
    yes witch is why i hesitated with even making the suggestion, might be his only shot of gettn in a door though a (FLEASE PURCHASE) england,cal-ark, jbhunt and the list goes on

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Although the OP didn't really give a reason, it's likely due to his field of expertise. Network engineers are the front line of security in an i/t environment. Any outfit worth working for, employee or contractor, will want a clean criminal background, although a drug charge would be less of a hinderance than a crime involving deception or fraud. In fact, most areas that pay well will involve access to sensitive data (ERP, database, etc). It'll be some years before he can get back to that type of work, short of doing small business stuff that is just hard to find on a good day.

big_rig_ambition: You've gotten some good advice regarding the job search. Here's another tip you may already be aware of. My son took his CDL training at U of AR Newport. It was $1,600 including lodging for 3 weeks. Might be even cheaper since you're in-state. All he needed to bring was food money, clothes, gloves and a flashlight, and a good attitude to hitchhike a ride to school every day with another student that had their car there. Obviously you'd want to get that potential job lined up first to avoid paying for training twice due to a lapse while trying to find that job. I know that's a big lump to come up with all things considered, but sure beats the heck out of another installment plan.

4. Gisquid

Gisquid Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Fort Carson, CO
    Big Rig Ambition... I wish you all the best!! We've all have had low points in our lives!! Stay positive, focused, and get out there and start networking. Eventually, something is going to turn up. Maybe you can start at a dock or as a laborer for a concrete outfit? There are some logging companies out there too. Ever thought about ROUGHNECKING?? Its a rough job but the rewards are hugh!! Don't give up!!! I'm Rooting for ya, man!!!!!

5. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    B.R.A.- Go to a search engine called "DuckDuckGo". Put in "Trucking Jobs For Felons"

You'll find pages of leads to work on. No guarantees, you know you're going to have an uphill battle. Keep a positive attitude and keep focused- determination will make up for anything you don't have. Good Luck!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  6. jande016

jande016 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Pacific NW
    BRA - I applaud you for your employment efforts, despite your checkered past. I can assure you that you are in the very small minority (that's a great thing). I hope everything works out for you.

7. big_rig_ambition

big_rig_ambition Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2011

i was aware of the passport situation and the twic, but not the gambling/nevada thing. #### that is hardcore.

im not much of a gambler tho. this is all really good info sir, im glad it worked out for you!

i am totally prepared to "be abused" by trucking companies...to me it's a small price to pay in order to secure a stable future. my father taught me how to spot an opportunity, even if it is a super small one. they have a way of multiplying over time.

thanks dad.

8. big_rig_ambition

Sep 25, 2011

thanks for sharing this man, it was def a different time way back then. I have no affiliations, and made every effort not to become a "product of my environment" while i was in prison. i was gone for 1yr 3mo 7d. i am not as hairy as i am in my profile pic currently, and i clean up pretty well...tattoos and all :)

plus i used to be "mister button down 9-5 office guy", so my personal demeanor is not all that atrocious.

9. big_rig_ambition

Sep 25, 2011

keep on rockin in the freeworld, sir. more updates as events warrant!

10. heavyd540

heavyd540 Bobtail Member

May 14, 2011
    staunton virginia
    hey man dont ever give up your dreams you got a HARD ROAD AHEAD JUST SO YOU KNOW IM A TWO TIME FELON SO IT IS VERY POSSIBLE

11. javelinjeff

javelinjeff Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    believe it or not,,you are employable,,,been there,done that with multiple DUI's from the 90's when I got into this industry,,a small reefer outfit is your best bet,,a small outfit put me in a truck right out of training.though I had no felony convictions,we had a couple guys who had recent convictions.I know of a fairly large southern california company that will hire felons too,if they like you,,so it can be done. the big carriers probably will not consider you,but you really do not want to drive for them anyways,,because of the stories of abuse you hear on here are true.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.