Friend of mine wants to quitting at the start of Prime, Inc TNT training....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by drew2083, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Don't quit until he does go to dmv

G13Tomcat and TripleSix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigmotor1212

bigmotor1212 Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    You have to take a test to get your permit as well. In the old days, when you had a permit, someone had to ride beside you. Several of the mega companies got exemptions to that rule, so that their permitted trainees could drive, while their trainer slept. If your friend has a CDL, he doesn't need a piece of paper saying he can drive with no one in the passenger seat. Whichever he has, Prime cannot take it away.

4. drew2083

drew2083 Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Colorado
    Well the reason for the paper is because he is in Utah going through training, but he is from Colorado, so he hasn't been able to get back to Colorado to the DMV. They gave him that paper so he can drive until he can get back to Colorado to get it.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I wouldn't leave until I had my cdl in hand.

Woodys and IluvCATS Thank this.
  6. drew2083

Oct 14, 2017
    Colorado
    It'd be pretty f'ed up if they took it away. I mean... he did pass.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I have a stupid question, did your freind actually ask prime what to do to pay for the training after he gets his cdl?

Maybe he needs to read the contract and ask them.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  8. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Does his drivers license say commercial driver? If so he’s good to go. But a contract is a contract. He signed one. Prime will want re-payment of the CDL school and boarding. That’s not free. But lots of people have done exactly that. It’s usually about a $7000 debt that you can make payments toward. I’ve heard of idle threats about taking away your CDL, it’s not true.

9. drew2083

Oct 14, 2017
    Colorado
    If he was to stay on, it'd come out of each paycheck until paid off i would guess.

10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    They cant take it away. It's his CDL issued by his home state. But not leaving without the license is to make sure he cn get another job to meet his obligation to Prime.

11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    If he has a valid CDL, or even a permit, Prime cannot take it. If he went through Prime's school, he'd likely owe them whatever they say the school cost. Just like going to a community college on his own dime.

As far as the DAC report crap, I wouldn't worry over it. They might put some garbage on it, but most companies worth their salt won't base their hiring decisions solely on a report from a third party.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.