From Company driver to L/P

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Cybercat, Oct 23, 2015.

1. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    I don't know the mechanics of what you're getting done but I know my truck is not governed and I don't have an accursed wingman on this new truck and I am so glad. The greatest safety feature is a driver being in control not some half baked computer.

Enjoy vacation. Try to let it all go and relax and refresh.

Cybercat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    Your truck has no speed limiter activated, and some mistake that for a governor.
    The governor on a diesel engine restricts the revs the engine is allowed to run up to.
    If it didn't have a governor it would run away and burst.

UturnGirl Thanks this.
  4. UturnGirl

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    Good to know correct terminology. In fact the minute I read your post I recognised you were right...one of those oh yeah! I knew that! moments. Thanks.

5. Cybercat

Cybercat Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    East Tn
    I'm in a bad area and post had a few mistypes do to that. Hubby went to The DieselDoctor in IL. They know what there doing. His gearing is going to replaced soon. Having the horsepower turned up so he wouldn't need to use so much throttle. Having cruise equalized with foot throttle has made a difference in how truck is running. It's not fighting itself to move.

UturnGirl and RERM Thank this.
  6. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Enjoy!!!!.....

Cybercat Thanks this.
  7. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    My engine is not governed at all....hasn't been for years....it has yet to "runaway and burst".......I guess self destruction is now imminent!!!!....LOL!!!!!

Cybercat and UturnGirl Thank this.
  8. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    Thank you for helping me to understand why I have been so mistaken all these years I've worked on them.
    40 years of understanding the technical and theoretical properties of Herr Diesels work just to be taught how wasted all that time was.

Imagine you're parked and idling. Put your hoof on the throttle, and the engine will rev to a certain point, possibly around 2k revs or so. That's your governor stopping it. It is being starved of fuel to limit its revs.very occasionally an oil pipe or seal will break in a turbo and allow the engine an alternative and ungoverned fuel source, If you can be bothered to learn, search youtube for videos of such turbo failures and you will understand. The engines, quite literally, burst apart.

Opus Thanks this.
  9. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Why would I or anyone with half a brain put their “hoof on the throttle”........in a stationary engine not engaged to the drivetrain??....

I seem to recall A. J. Foyt doing so at Indy, but he did it on purpose!!!!!

I’m pretty sure the OP and her husband weren’t planning on purposely detonating their engine!!!!!

But ok, Master Tech.....I guess every engine before electronics imploded in normal use!!!!

When we speak of wide open we mean no rev limiter or speed limiter active in the normal rev range.......

But I suspect you knew that and still decided to enlighten and impress us with your 40 years of wisdom!!!!

Thank you for that!!!!!... now we all know who you truly are!!!!!

Have a nice day!!

Cybercat and T.Rucker Thank this.
  10. UturnGirl

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    Well..at least I will know to call it speed limiter next time. But we all knew what cyber cat was saying..even the seigle Dr part. ")

Cybercat and RERM Thank this.
  11. Cybercat

Cybercat Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    East Tn
    Hello all I know long time no see. Tablet was acting up for the month.

Update were all caught up on back bills. I am in truck now with our two dogs. First week back and all is going smoothly till we blew trailer tire. But we made our unload at Tyson. Tyson has been great for us. There getting us in and loaded and unloaded in record time.

Weekend load going from Michigan to Georgia. We will be out for another week yet. Got to take care of house stuff like pickup washing machine ect. As far as truck stuff all trailer tires will need replaced but we will take our time doing it. We will be replacing all the cab tires from super singles to duelies. Just because if we get a blown tire we won't be in serious damaged trouble. All this stuff being taken care of now the right way.
    So far we have had to fix things that equity half assed or totally not fix. Our main mechanic we asked to look at front brake on drivers side. It was a mess broken and drum was cracked. No wonder truck shook so bad. We had balancers on front too after fix.
    So this week's check with 4 days running will have truck and trailer payments for the month coming out. But will still will be in the black even with those coming out, which is just over $2k for both together. Tire is going to cost but we got it from last check before we went on our pup delivery week last week. Nice to have money in account again. We open another State farm checking account just for truck. So full check will go in and we will take weekly $1k out to pay house bills and our food. That will cover everything both ways. By next month I will be paying last year's tax that I put off.

dwells40 and UturnGirl Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.