From Day One to One Year: A comprehensive guide for the aspiring OTR driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by boxxxtrucker, Jan 5, 2013.

1. boxxxtrucker

boxxxtrucker Light Load Member

So you've made your decision - hopefully a well thought out decision - you want to become a professional truck driver. Maybe you were enticed by the income potential? Perhaps you love driving? Maybe you love to travel and welcome the idea of being somewhere new every day? Or in some cases, it's likely you just need a job and trucking is the only option available to you...

Whatever your reasons may be, you've made the phone calls and done all of the necessary paperwork to get yourself enrolled in school. For the next two to three weeks (omit CCs which are full courses), you'll be learning the bare bones basics of driving a truck. You'll get a general understanding of upshifting, downshifting, basic backing techniques, turning and space management. It's barely enough to get you street legal, and just enough to make you legal on paper. The DMV says congratulations and stamps your paperwork...now you're on your way!

If you were smart, you sent out lots and LOTS of pre hire letters at school. By now, most of the bottom feeders, er, I mean, starter companies, should be breaking down the doors to get you in a truck. This is provided you have a decent driving record and can pass a background check and drug screen. If you don't or can't, you can forget about it. Even the starter companies won't want you. The pickings are slim when you're new, but if you do enough research and send out enough pre hire letters you're bound to find the least of all evils and the best fit for what you desire...

Once you've chosen a worthy company the fun begins. Generally you'll be asked to attend a company orientation. These can last anywhere from two to five days and generally run seven to ten hours per day. They're boring and filled with paperwork, but they're also an extremely necessary part of the hiring process. During this time, you'll undoubtedly be asked to submit to a physical and drug screen. You'll also be asked to take a road test, varying in length and difficultly depending on the company. If at any time you cannot pass a physical or road test, you may be asked to leave. If you fail your drug screen, you will be forced to leave and permanently disqualified from ever being hired. Also, if you lied about anything in your background, no matter how trivial it may be, you can expect to be sent home and permanently disqualified. I attended school with a 57 year old man who worked for the school district all his life. He was a great guy, good father, and quickly became a friend of mine. He completed school and made it to orientation. On day four, it was discovered that he had a minor pot conviction in his background he failed to disclose. He was terminated immediately afterwards...

Once you successfully complete orientation, you're given a driver ID or code. This can come in the form of an ID card, or just a numerical number code assigned to you as an individual. Ever heard the saying "you're just a number?" Well, that goes double in trucking...

If you're lucky, you'll have a company trainer ready to work with you the same day you leave orientation. If you have my luck, you won't. Plan on either going home or going back to a hotel after completing orientation. If you're not in the lucky group, you should hear from a trainer within a couple of days. Keep in mind though, it can take up to a week or more (as was the case with me!)

Being assigned a trainer is like playing russian roulette, only riskier. You have no idea who you're getting, and ending up with the wrong person could have devastating results. A phone or in person introduction is usually held before you guys head out. Use this time to exercise your best judgment and size up the situation as quickly as you can. DO NOT be afraid to turn down a trainer and request somebody new. You WILL NOT be penalized by the company for doing so and exercising your right to deny training from a particular individual could save you from some real unpleasantness. Trainers generally don't care whether or not you go with them anyway. You're just a body, tomorrow there'll be someone new...

If you've been assigned to a trainer and you feel comfortable with that individual, it'll be time to get on their truck. Many trainers recommend you only bring a weeks worth of clothes, but most of that has to do with the fact that they want a maximum amount of space for their stuff and a minimal amount of your crap laying around. Keep in mind you'll be out for up to 40 days in some cases, so bring more than enough clothing to suffice. Also pack for all regions, as there are many different climates throughout the country and you want to be ready for them all.

Many students get on their training truck expecting full scale educations, similar to what they got at the mill or CC. Sorry guys, but most of these trainers ain't teaching you #### from shine if they can help it. Basically, you'll be acting as a co driver, with the exception of the first 50 hours, where by rule your trainer must combine his HOS with yours. The purpose of company training is less about learning and more about refining and expanding on the skills you acquired at school. Remember too that you are on somebody elses truck. If they say no radio, it's no radio. If they say no CB or food in the truck, then its no CB or food in the truck. If they tell you you're only going to drive at night, get used to moving in the dark. As much as I hate to admit it, they have every right to dictate what goes on in their truck, provided it doesn't violate the law or company policy. If you don't like it, get off at the nearest terminal and request somebody new. Simple as that...

Training is where most people decide if this business is truly for them. During your training you'll have very little freedom as you're living in somebody elses quarters, and you'll quickly have to adjust to life on the road. You probably won't sleep very well, and you'll definitely get sick at some point or another. I'm typing this while recovering for a norwalk infection I picked up at a truck stop in SLC. During winter, while parked overnight, you could be forced to walk up to a mile just to use the restroom. And if you get a case of the uh ohs while out in the middle of nowhere, prepare to crawl under the trailer and grab a tandem. Showers are also a big issue for many new drivers. Most of us are used to showering on a daily basis, but with the price of a truck stop shower now at 13 bucks a pop, you'll quickly learn to forget what you're used to. Your money won't be coming in stacks either, so be sure to manage it to the best of your ability. Some trainers will provide you with lunch, but they are few and far between. Expect to take care of all your personal expenses. Because trucking is an unpredictable business, you may find yourself doing alot of sitting. Thanks to the new rules implemented by starter companies across the board, you will no longer be paid a flat rate per day. In the old days, you could be sitting at a truck stop getting a handy from a lot lizard and still get paid for your time. Now in days, you need to be either on duty or driving to get paid. So basically, sitting at the T/A waiting for a load will be entirely for free. Patience is a virtue in this line of work, and the more of it you can acquire the better off you'll be.

After the first couple weeks of training you may find yourself depressed, especially if you have a family or young children at home. Many companies provide paid psychiatric counseling, usually two to three sessions. Choosing to use these services does not mean you have a mental problem, and you should never feel that way for wanting to talk to somebody. OTR is a lifestyle change. You're sharing a space smaller than a prison cell with another full grown adult. On top of that, the space you're sharing doesn't even belong to you and you have no say as to what goes on inside of it. You are not allowed to accept or deny loads and if you're trainer leaves his quarters cluttered or filthy you cannot ask him to clean up. Well, I mean, you can ask but don't expect it to go very well.

Very important; Make sure you have at least 200 dollars saved (not counting your payroll checks) to get home in case of an emergency. Things happen. People get sick, they get in to fights, emergencies happen, etc etc. Your trainer can throw you out at any time, anywhere...and guess what, you'll be stuck and #### out of luck. Having enough money for a greyhound ticket will literally save your life, and even if you think you won't need it, have it just in case. Trucking rule number one; Expect the unexpected. Trucking rule number two; See rule number one.

If you make it through training the worst is essentially over. You can shake your trainers hand and look forward to getting your own truck! (omit CRST, where you will have to share). This truck is yours for the time you're out on the road, but if you live in the high theft areas of Southern California, Central Georgia or Southern Florida you probably won't be able to take your truck home at any point in your career. Many companies won't let you regardless of where you live.

Once in your own truck you'll be assigned to a driver manager. You'll have dispatch and the whole nine yards. As a new driver, most companies will generally chart your loads to be delivered at a slightly slower pace than your experienced peers. Don't be fooled though, even if it's your first week, you WILL be held accountable for late deliveries. Most starter companies are drop and hook operations, but on some occasions, your consignee may need you to unload. Once you get your own truck, invest in forklift training and certification. This will come in handy for speedy unloads, and your OSHA card works in all 48 states.

Your first six months will be the least amount of money you'll earn. Expect to get lost a lot, get ###### loads and even have a couple of late deliveries. The next six should get much easier. If you make it to the one year mark with a clean record and decent references, Congratulations! You're now eligible for almost any Local or OTR position on the market...

The road to One Years Experience is paved with just about every challenge and hardship you can imagine. It'll test a mans character, and truly separate the wannabes from the road warriors. Keep in mind though, even with experience, if you leave the industry for more than 3 months you may have to endure additional training to get back in (like yours truly).

What ever you decide to do, and however you decide to do it, get the most out of every day you spend on the road. Learn as much as you can and avoid making the same mistakes twice. Build your skills and keep from getting frustrated. No matter what anyone out there tells you, they were once in that same seat with no experience, struggling with their back ups and grinding all their gears. And no matter what you do, never lose sight of what's really most important...the reason why you're out there, whatever it may be...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pokerhound67

pokerhound67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 30, 2012
    excellent post. only thing id disagree with is the drop and hook part. there may be companies out there that are predominately d&h, but its a question id ask ahead of time, as more companies are mostly live load/unload. however, most large companies dont want YOU to do the loading/unloading...they will pay for a lumper to do it.

4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Good post. Not sure how widespread the 50hr rule is, but with my 1st company, the trainer and I teamed right off the bat (I distinctly remember leaving the orientation yard heading out in LA traffic while my trainer hopped into bed, closed the curtain, and said "good luck.")

Also with 1 year OTR experience don't expect to be able to go anywhere. IMO:

With 0-3 months OTR you can go from a terrible starter company to a bad starter company
    With 3-6 months OTR you can go to a decent starter company
    With 6-12 months OTR you can upgrade to a good starter company
    With 1-2 years OTR you can transfer to a decent non-starter company
    With 2-5 years OTR you can transfer to most good companies
    With 5+ years OTR you can go pretty much anywhere, provided you have at least 2 years experience in whatever type of trailer the new company uses (and provided you've had <2-3 jobs in that 5 years)

There are exceptions -- some do get on with a good company right off the bat (or get a local job right away).

5. boxxxtrucker

boxxxtrucker Light Load Member

You may be correct. Im only going off of my own local market, and the general rule of thumb here is 1-2 years otr for a decent local job. Of course I landed an LTL gig with very little experience, and I know guys who have 5 or more years who can't get local work because they have zero people skills and interview poorly. Otr is very different from local, and many otr guys just don't have the interpersonal skills to be successful in what is essentially a 9-5 in the trucking world...

6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    How did you learn all that,

in the few months you spent on the road?

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  7. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    As far as experience goes, I got a great paying local job with only 1 year Otr experience with a good starter company. Enjoyed my time there and they paid my way home after I quit. I start my local job Monday.

123456 Thanks this.
  8. sidecars

sidecars Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I've been reading this list for quite some time trying to learn all I can about whether or not I could do half time OTR for a year or so in a few years. I've heard and seen that there are companies willing to go this way. It's the fact that I would be a new driver that seems to create problems. The boards here say new drivers will most likely get crappy jobs that will get them home a few hours a month... especially during training. I'm not willing to be out more than 7 to 10 days. I would be willing to do 7 or so on and 7 or so off. I'd be willing to take the 50% pay cut this would require.

I'm 55... haven't had a ticket in maybe 25 years, and that was for 10mph over on the freeway. My last accident was maybe 30 years ago. My kids used to say I drove like an old man, which means I was in the right hand lane doing the speed limit and every move I made was slowly and with purpose. Never done drugs... don't drink... don't smoke. I've worked for the same company since 1979, working with the public. As a manager I certainly see the big picture, not just my cog in the works at any job, and I work hard. I've been married 27 years and have grown kids. But the boards here give me the sense that none of this matters. The Insurance companies charge less for people with experience, so the best truck companies won't hire those who don't have it, no matter how well they interview... how few accidents... how hard they work... or how socially adjusted they seem. Get a job... any job... grin and bear it for a year... with long hours and weeks away from home... getting jerked around by many around you. Then.. maybe trucking will become a passable to good job... after a year or two... or more.

Do I have it about right? Or am I seeing this too darkly?

9. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Perhaps a bit darkly, but better to be pleasantly surprised than supremely disappointed. But I am not aware of any OTR companies offering a 7 on/7 off schedule.

sidecars Thanks this.
  10. sidecars

sidecars Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    By the way. I'd like to add that I've gained a lot of respect for what you folks do. There's a lot more to it than I thought... some of that in a good way! And since I've started looking into trucking I've started to really notice how many of you guys there are out there. Whether I go into trucking or not... thank you.

11. technoroom

technoroom Heavy Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Roehl Transport offers 7/7, 14/7 and 7/4/7/3 schedules in addition to the more-typical OTR schedules, depending on where you live. I've seen someone on this site mention that Schneider offers something like a 7/7 also. Roehl's site has a little app where you enter your zip code and it will tell you what fleet(s) are available in your area.

BigByrd47119 and sidecars Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.