From the eyes of an outsider

Discussion in 'Boyd' started by Redly, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Redly

Redly Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I've been reading all the posts on Boyd Brothers and wanted to take a minute to give you my insight. Now, some of you may think this is strange, but bare with me, and hopefully you will understand.

As of right now, I am the Regional Operations Manager for a medium size trucking company in Texas. I have been in the trucking industry for 17 years as a driver, supervisor, and Manager. Recently, I decided that I was tired of Managing Terminals, Dispatchers, and Drivers. The constant struggles that managers face is finding qualified professional drivers to operate their equipment, dispatch/supervise the drivers, and deal with the customers. Notice I said Professionals and not steering wheel holders.

In today's day and age, it is extremely hard to find professional drivers. The reason for that is most of the drivers now days want a large paycheck for very little work. These drivers have no respect for the company, management, or the equipment. 95% of the drivers that quit a company leave a truck completely dirty, low on fuel and do not have the decency to write up the problems with the truck. The reason for this is because they are not held accountable for their actions in life. They think it's okay to do this and screw the next guy. Not to mention the drivers of today think it's okay to quit with no notice and leave a load sitting on the side of the road. What they fail to see is that they are not only hurting the company, but the other drivers that have to pick up their slack. Also, they hurt many others that are dependent on the load to be delivered.

Now, as you read in the second paragraph, I said I decided that I was tired of Managing. I have decided to go back to driving. I'm sure a lot of you are asking why would this guy leave a great job that has him at home every night and pays well. The answer is simple, I am tired of dealing with drivers, dispatchers and upper management that are simply lazy. Yes, even the upper management are extremely lazy. In this job, I work 16-18 hours a day 6 days a week. Also, I have a company phone that never stops ringing, and my email seems like it never shuts off. Now, I'm not saying this to complain, I'm saying this because I don't want anyone to think that just because your management, your job is easy.

So, I'm sure your also asking yourself why is this guy posting on the Boyd Bros threads? Well, this to is a simple answer. While some of the people on here think they know everything simply because they talked to other drivers, the reality is they don't. As I've stated, I've been in the industry for over 17 years and have been blessed to work with many managers from multiple companies. Boyd Bros is a consistent leader in the flatbed industry. The CEO of the company is very well known and loved in this industry. She has a heart of gold and really cares about the drivers, and staff of Boyd. Most of the management team at Boyd put drivers first. Yes, you have some "Lazy" fleet managers and others, but overall, the team at Boyd is a cut above the rest.

Here are some facts that I know about Boyd.
    1. Over 155 million mile drivers
    2. They have been nominated numerous times for the best company to drive for
    3. Continue to strive to be the safest company on the road.
    4. Lowest turnover rate for a medium sized company.
    5. Have a genuine care for the drivers. Realizing that the drivers are what makes the company.

By the way, I am not a recruiter for Boyd, I am simply an old driver that tells it like it is. Now, don't get me wrong, there are a bunch of other companies that are great as well. I am simply speaking about Boyd because that is where I've decided to go and drive. I am starting my orientation with them on April 21st and am excited to drive again. Believe me when I tell you that being in management is not a glorious job. Staring at a computer screen for 16 hours a day really sucks. I miss being out on the road where the scenery changes all the time.

When I started in this industry, my father told me to always give 110% and always be courteous. He made sure to raise me with values and to have respect for others property. While I was a driver, I always made sure to complete my Pre-trips and post trips. I reported every problem I had with the truck to our maintenance team and I never drove the truck if it wasn't road worthy. By doing this, I never had a breakdown. Now sure, I had tires go down and had to get those fixed, but I never had a mechanical break down on my truck. The reason for this was because I made sure to take care of my equipment. Now, I worked for 3 companies as a driver. Each time I quit, I made sure to give a 2 week notice, made sure I kept doing a great job for those two weeks, and lastly I returned the equipment in better condition than when I received it. Guess what, each company I worked for made sure that I was eligible for rehire.

To make a very long story shorter, I will end with this. If you want to go far in this industry, quit blaming everyone else but yourself for how you are treated. Go the extra mile to help out your dispatch, or managers. I promise, if you give 110% and you are courteous, you will be treated fairly by the company. All it takes is hard work and perseverance and it will all come together. If you treat the company as if they owe you something and you are always negative, you will have a negative experience. If you come to a company knowing that you will have to work hard and take care of business, you will do just fine.

Lastly, there has been complaints about Boyd charging $400 to the drivers as a security deposit. Think of it this way, If you loaned out a piece of equipment that cost in excess of $120K, wouldn't you want some reassurance that it will be delivered back to your place of business intact and clean? I know I would!

Buzz1966, 04 Stroke, Rollieman and 9 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    A lot I agree with and some I don't with your thread,but it's worth hitting the thank button.

4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Every new driver should have to read this.

pattyj Thanks this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Actually its good info for all drivers.May to them just be words on the forum but to some it could make a difference.

Redly Thanks this.
  6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Redly.......4 posts in 4 years ! Wow, anyway, I can relate to your sentiment. Being a manager ain't that big a deal. Good luck on the return to driving.

Redly Thanks this.
  7. EdinKansas

EdinKansas Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    As long as we are making sweeping generalizations...

You get what you pay for. Don't want to pay for better drivers? Don't complain when you don't get better drivers. Corporate profits are at ALL TIME HISTORIC HIGHS. Income has been stagnant for 40 YEARS.

Drivers don't seem like they have a stake in the company? Do companies have a stake in their drivers? If companies are so great to work for, why is the industry turn over so high?

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Great valid points you made.Companies could pay drivers much better if they really wanted to.If they can afford all the added extras to better their company then added pay should come along with it.Everything in this industry is always changing except the pay,that remains the same.

Redly Thanks this.
  9. rwdfinch50

rwdfinch50 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    O.k., you'll notice I took a couple lines from your post to comment on. Hopefully you'll find this as constructive criticism, as that's my intention.

First of all, I have been in this profession for 37 years now, 36 as a driver. I have well over three million miles accident free driving and a spotless record. Nothing special here. There's a lot of drivers with as good as or a better track record then I have. I'm just telling you so you know I have knowledge of this industry.
    You said you have 17 years experience in the trucking industry, so I had 20 years experience when you first started out.

I have come to the realization over the last few years that the industry doe's not want professional drivers, and they do want steering wheel holders, regardless of what they say. They may talk the talk, but they do not walk the walk, as they say. They're actions clearly point this out. just look at the problems with coercion from carriers to their drivers to force them to continue to drive specifically because they have available hours to drive, without regard to health or fatigue, etc. There is no thought being given by management at trucking companies as to the drivers ability to continue driving, only to the bottom line. This is the main reason there isn't a regulation requiring EOBR's in the industry as of yet. But you can be sure there will be a regulation soon, as anyone that has been in this business for as long as I have knows the government regulates without regard to consequences, and has for years.
    If the industry wants to attract quality professional drivers, then maybe they should treat the professional drivers as professionals, and not as slaves as they have been doing for over twenty years now. They can start by properly training new drivers so they can be profecient in the field, and not "just get the miles". As long as companies speed students through their so called training and throw them into a truck before their ready, then try to put them in a lease purchase plan so as to save the company money on insurance and taxes, the industry will not get any better. If management wants to know why the industry is failing, all they have to do is look in a mirror and they'll see where they need to start.
    I was at a T/A not long ago waiting to get some work done, and a driver for one of the major carriers came into the service desk because he needed windshield washer fluid. His company required him to have the shop obtain a P.O. number and bill the carrier directly to ensure the driver wasn't stealing the fluid. I commented to the service person about how stupid that was, and she told me that almost all of the larger carriers require p.o.'s for anything for the truck, regardless of what it is. How is a driver expected to feel like a professional when his company won't even trust him to buy washer fluid or a light bulb?
    And what's wrong with making as much money as you can for as little work as possible? I know upper management at every company does this. Doesn't a "professional" driver deserve the same? My motto has always been "work smart, not hard"
    These are just a few of the reasons that I, as well as most professional drivers with many years of experience that are still driving for a living own our trucks and book our own loads. We're tired of being micro managed by people that have no knowledge or concern of this industry or the people in it. So many companies are publicly owned now, and their upper management only cares for making money for their investors, as that's what their job is.
    As far as a company charging a security deposit to their employees, how about the companies pay a security deposit to ensure the drivers that the promises made by the recruiters are kept. The companies are not "loaning" the equipment to the drivers, they are paying the drivers for providing a service to them. If a company cannot afford to, or is afraid to trust a driver with the equipment to do the job, then they need to not be in the trucking business.
    Finally, you said, and I quote, "I am simply an old driver that tells it like it is." It sounds more like you are a manager that wants to blame the drivers for the failings of management instead of accepting responsibility for them. I think it's safe to say that I am the old driver that's telling it like it is.
    And, I am not directing this post to Boyd Brothers. But this is where you put the thread, so the response is here also. So, don't take offense if you are a Boyd driver, as I didn't intend any.
    Have a safe trip out there drivers.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    pattyj, Redly, Ford L8000 and 6 others Thank this.
  10. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I would like to read his opinion after a year back on the road.

Puppage Thanks this.
  11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I would like to see his comment on rwdfince's post.He made awhole of valid points.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.