From the eyes of an outsider

Discussion in 'Boyd' started by Redly, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or
    The biggest issue one has with drivers either not caring and or taking care of equipment all boils down to how one is trained....and most drivers other companies see come from BFC who were just used as a log book by trainer and then thrown in a truck.

i for one was and did train as I was taught and that was to treat the equipment like I owned it, even if I didn't. I passed this down to my students and guess what the proof is in the pudding as they treat their trucks like they own it and make more money then those that have been working here for 20 years. So truth be told it boils down to training.

2) as far as drivers taking care of equipment and or turnover rate if a company treats a person like a person and not like a dog or slave then one also gets better treatment of equipment and has lower turnover.

A job, is a job, is a job, used to be that trucking was considered a career, and a great way to make a living, but nowadays it is just a job and for those who truly doesn't understand what a job means well here you go......

J......Just
    O.....Over
    B.....Broke

and we all knew at one time or another what it was or is like just living from paycheck to paycheck

pattyj, Redly and Ford L8000 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I know what its like living with out a paycheck,im living it now.Ray is paying my bills.I haven't worked because ive been sick.But better now.Ive been applying for local jobs or at least home every other day but they all are regional.If it weren't for my dads health,I would go regional or even long haul.Many right now probably most are living from paycheck to paycheck.

Lowa3468 Thanks this.
  4. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    Hopefully you don't end up with one of those lazy DM's you referred to! Good luck and be the change you seek in the world!

Redly Thanks this.
  5. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    It can all boil down to hiring cheap labor. Companies don't want to hire experience because that costs too much so they hire young kids or people who have no experience. My company has dropped it's qualifying criteria in order to hire more drivers, for hazmat.
    The thing is now they can't figure out why they had 29 rollovers last year. Duh!
    But they're quick to blame people like me, who stay upright at all times. We must need more training !!
    In order for companies to maintain there precious profits hiring cheap is the new mantra. That's why NAFTA is so popular. Keeps wages down.
    IMHO there is too much dishonesty and not enough transparency in the trucking arena. Companies talk a good game when it comes to safety but dispatch totally ignore their overtures. Falls on deaf ears there.
    I believe company drivers should be paid at least 75-80c a mile but the impression I get is that nobody is courageous enough to go out and do it. Because if one company does it, everybody will have to follow suit. And we can't have that can we ?? Average pay for company drivers hasn't budged in the past 6-8 yrs. it's a disgrace.
    Maybe the caliber of driver is not there. I look at some of them in any truck stop and many look like they've been dragged through a hedge backward and have lived rough for the past month. I remember opening a door to a drivers truck and he was knee deep in trash. They didn't call him Stinky for nothing.
    But that's the way some people live. If you've ever watched the program "Hoarders" then you know.
    No surprises there. Things are not going to change anytime soon. Companies think they can hire more warm bodies to fill the seats. Who cares if they don't qualify, but can they read and write. They're willing to take that risk. Management, safety and dispatch are littered with people who shouldn't be there and are poorly qualified at best.
    On the whole we have a nucleus of very good drivers in this country contrary to Govt propaganda. Especially O/O because we know what we are doing. We don't need to be supervised or micro managed, neither do we need to be subjected to any half baked tin pot training. As we all know, most of the accidents are caused by irresponsible 4-wheeler. That's a fact that FMCSA hasn't grasped yet. They don't trust us and visa versa.
    But it's amazing how some of these unqualified non-CDL folks think they know better than us. If only we could join forces instead of being so darn fragmented. Maybe our voice would be heard and acted upon more readily than it is now. We can only hope.

Redly, Lowa3468 and Ford L8000 Thank this.
  6. Redly

Redly Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    rwdfinch50 - Thank you for your insight. I did take it as constructive criticism. I think you make very valid points in your text. I will agree 100% that FMCSA has had their nose in our business for way to long. They think they understand everything just because they have a title such as Transportation director. I also say that 95% of any companies management has little or no experience behind the wheel of a truck. I will also agree that companies do want steering wheel holders instead of Professional Drivers.

Now, I don't agree that we should stand by and let this happen. I for one as a manager take care of my drivers. When they do a good job, I am the first one on the phone or QUALCOMM thanking them. I have also given pay raises to my folks because they continue to due a great job. I started a team of the month program at my company. Now, I manage 30 teams on one account and 20 on another account. When I created the team of the month program, it was to recognize the best team. There are a lot of variables that my guys had to meet, but it was simple stuff. Each team that is selected gets an individual plaque, their names on the plaque we have in our office and a $50 gift card. At the end of the year, we have a committee that will vote for the team of the year and they will receive $3K each. The other thing we do on these accounts is recognize a driver on his birthday. We give a simple 2 minute call to the driver to say happy birthday and thank you for being a part of our team.

You made a comment about being at the T/A and the PO the young man had to get from his company. I for the life of me can see why a company would do that. All of my drivers can go into the T/S and get whatever they need for the truck and use their comdata card. No need to call anyone. If someone is steeling, we will catch one way or another. It's best to trust the driver until they give you a reason not to.

There are a lot of problems with our industry. You having 37 years of experience far out weighs my 17 years. You know how the 80's were because you lived them, I only know of the stories I've heard. It's obvious that this industry will never be as good as it was back then, but if all the good drivers could take just a few minutes of their time each day to help the bad ones, maybe we could clean it back up and make it somewhat close to what it was. I for one love this industry. I love being able to get out on the road and driving. Sure, I don't need as much money as the next guy to live, but if I'm willing to work my tail off to do a good job, I want to be paid for it. I just know that nobody owes me anything. I have worked my entire life and earned what I have as I am sure you have too. To many people in all industries want something for nothing. That is the human race! Your generation was raised to work hard for your money, but it seems like my generation and the new generation have been raised to "Just get by" taking every shortcut they can. You and I both know that these shortcuts cause accidents.

What this all boils down to is I'm tired of Owners, Managers, Dispatchers and drivers having this "You owe me" attitude. We all know what we are getting paid going into a company (Mileage pay/Percentage Pay). Now do companies lie? YES, they do. They will tell you their drivers average between 2700 - 3000 miles a week. When in reality you really only average 1800-2500. I maid it a personal goal to always tell my employees worst case scenario. I tell them I can give them the average, but it may not always be that much. I guess I just get tired of the lies and deception that happens. We all know it does, but yet we all still allow it to happen.

I think it would be great to sit down and talk to guys like you that have so many years of exp. I think we could all learn a lot from the guys like you. Your post was a great addition to this thread and I hope that you will continue to post here. I love learning new things. The reason I do learn is because I am humble enough to know I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING like a lot in our industry do.

Lowa3468, 04 Stroke and pattyj Thank this.
  7. Redly

Redly Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I think your 100% correct. If companies would take care of professional drivers, they would have more drivers staying and not leaving. As far as training, you couldn't be more right. The training now days sucks! I see these people come out of the schools and come to my company for a job. I've given driving test where they couldn't even get out of the yard. Obviously we don't want people like that. I understand there is a need for drivers, but you have to have some sort of training program where the trainers actually train. Most times, this is not the case with your larger companies. As long as a driver has 6 months of exp. and have no incidents or accidents, they are allowed to train. Most of them are still learning how to drive themselves let alone train someone else. Like I said in my other post, there are some serious things wrong with our industry. However, they will never get fixed if we don't do something about it. Don't get me wrong, I don't have all the answers on how to get it fixed. Lord knows I wish I did. I'm just hoping that some of us can on this board can come together and put useful post on here to get these new drivers a head of the game. Weather they listen or not is anyone's guess, but if we could help a few, it would be worth it.

pattyj, Lowa3468 and 04 Stroke Thank this.
  8. Drivers girl

Drivers girl Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Ky
    I'll just make this simple. Welcome to the Boyd family! My bf drives for them and loves it :)

Redly Thanks this.
  9. Redly

Redly Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Thank you Ma'am!

Drivers girl Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.