From Vet to OTR

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jumpman, May 13, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Utah Trucking Services | James H. Clark & Son
    jameshclark.com
    Proudly providing shipping services since 1929! For 3 generations, James H. Clark & Son, Inc., has specialized in Frozen, Refrigerated, and Dry Truckload Transportation.
    [​IMG]

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  8. Jumpman

Jumpman Light Load Member

May 13, 2021
    I have seen these trucks a number of times but always running doubles. Do these companies hire new cdl grads to drive doubles right after school?

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, from approved cdl schools.
    ~
    YRC and Reddaway have their own cdl school. Both have Las Vegas Terminals.
    YRC owns Reddaway.
    Yellow CDL Driving Academy

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    1) Where in Nevada? And if you're willing to relocate, I'd think you have a screw loose to go somewhere that has 10% state income tax or more.
    2) What do you want to be doing 3 years from now as a professional driver? It is much better to work for a company near home.
    3) You won't have just a regular operating license anymore. It's just a CDL. If you don't mind staying away from home for a few weeks for school, Utah, Arizona, California, Indiana, and Pennsylvania are the toughest, and you can take your CDL from any of those states and go to another and just transfer it. Like if you have a Nevada, and go to Arizona, you're taking the whole test over again. But your CDL has to be in the state your residence is in.
    4) Just do the 140. And I think it's 160 unless they changed it. But until you get in the truck, getting some wheel time, maneuvering every day, you won't know anything.
    I'm almost 16 years in and don't know anything.

11. Jumpman

Jumpman Light Load Member

May 13, 2021

I am currently under contract with the military until the 25th of this month and then I am open to anywhere in the USA, my license is in Nevada and I love the no state income tax aspect but beyond that I am open to whatever works best. I am not planning to buy a house anytime soon so it really comes down to where I can get the best combination of pay rate and miles that still allow to run legal. You are the first one to mention the difficulty differences in the CDL and that is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Would I really be a better future candidate for trucking companies if I obtain my CDL from one of those states you listed?. As far as the hours go I have looked at a number of schools and the hours seem to go from 140 all the way to 360 hours. If I understand correctly trucking companies really do not care about the length of training and most of them have ongoing training/testing you need to jump thru before they let you loose so I see no reason to spend more money on a longer school if the hours do not add up for real benefit.

I plan to just pay for the school upfront so I am not beholden to any specific company. I don't know if this is wise or not but that is the plan currently.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.