Front axle spring center width

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I have an older truck that I was considering putting a newer front axle on.

When I started looking into front axles I found that there are a whole bunch of different spring Center widths. I'm trying to understand how this can be. Maybe somebody can explain it to me.

I thought almost all frame rails are a standard 34 in wide. From there the hangers go straight down and the Springs are in the center of the hanger.

So how can the spring Center width vary from say 33 1/2 to 35 and a half?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Some hangers are under, some are outside, all frames are not the same width either. Looking for a replacement steer axle, unless using the exact same thing can be a pain, some are real close, but no cigar.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Thinking all trucks are the same is just a myth.

KB3MMX, rabbiporkchop and spsauerland Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve noticed Internationals frames are narrower than Freightliner’s. Never actually measured them. Once you figure it out, I’d try to change hangers too. Upgrading from metal to rubber bushings. Less maintainance, no greasing hangers.Old ones, best to go with Horton roller bushings. They still wear out, though. I don’t really know, but maybe front hangers will bolt in.Rears ? Might have to drill some holes. If anything, you can keep your front hangers, as they hardly wear anyway. The problems are in the rear hangers. Newer 2000 yr and up rubber is much better design.You would need same centers width and same front hanger to centers length. If center to rear hanger is longer, drill holes. I would think the right person could weld a centering nub onto any axle, same as they move brackets on rear axles. I’ve seen them weld a centering pin, making one up and grinding into shape, when original one had rusted away

6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Older freight liners were 33 1/2 instead of 34, at some point they went to 34 1/2 , so a 1/2 in wider than pete KW, international. But even staying with the same make, the steers are different, it just depends on what year and model.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Rubber front spring pin bushings are junk. When Kenworth went to them we would be converting them over to greasable pins within 12-18 months.

spsauerland, Deere hunter and KB3MMX Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.