Front axle weight rating and legal weights I can scale?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Life on Wheels, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    You can exceed 12,500 on the steers longs your steers tires are rated for the weight, AND, you have the purple permit. Or course, your front axle has to be rated for the weight.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JMon

JMon Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Treasure Coast FL
    Yeah, probably not. Coach tires usually get dry rotted before they wear out. If you want to try it, these came up on my FB. Doubt you'll find them cheaper?

Michelin Coach Tires
    $500
    Listed 3 days ago in Clemmons, NC
    • Condition
      New
    (4) Brand New Michelin X-Coach steer or multi position 295 80 R22.5 $500.00 each

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I was recently surprised that according to the tag on my door, my steer axles only rated at 12k. WTF? 2000 Freightliner Classic. It’s a 285” wb, steer weight isn’t that important. Once though, I did slide my fifth wheel up a notch or 2 to scale 45,500, putting 12,400 on the steers. That’s when I happened to check the tag. It’s barely legible. 13,200 seems to be the norm. now. Must have changed at some point over the years? Makes me wonder. Never thought about it before. Always told to put any extra on the steers if necessary.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The 12 Cascadia I was driving was 12k

The 16 Cascadia I drove after. Was 13k.

I don't remember what the heavy hauler had. It was a 09 Pete. Before the 2 Cascadias.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    They said the tread doesn’t go bad. The tire side walls will start to dry rot before you wear the tread out. Michelin says it’s good for 10 years, but the guy I know says to expect seven or eight years out of them

7. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    The average miles per year for a motorized RV is 5,000. That's why they dry rot before the tread wears out.

Jubal Early Times Thanks this.
  8. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I’ve never permitted but I don’t think they’re free
    So there’s $$ involved

Also on the steer axle ?
    most dots won’t check to see what axle you have. That’s extra work and I’m not saying go break rules but in most cases it’ll be what tire you have on
    I have a big bunk and run a little heavier
    I’ve had scale guys pull me through and lean up out of their chair and simply look at what size steers I have on and green light me

Life on Wheels Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.