Front Discharge Cement Trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by brinkj23, May 28, 2009.

1. shawnie

shawnie Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2011
    odon IN.
    thanx so much another quest i have is about the interior of the truck does it have air ride and are the automatic trans or what kind or trans are usually in a fron loader ready mix truck also do the have air brakes thanx again

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. angry_trucker

angry_trucker Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Here are my observations from my rear discharge readymix experience...

It is better to get to the jobsite a little too dry than a little too wet...you can always add water but its hard to take it out...you can slow spin the drum and you will lose some slump but if its too wet they will likely refuse it...

32 MPA is stronger than 20 MPA and it will dry-up faster
    If they add calcium yo your load it will take off really fast

If you have a full load and you are too dry, sometimes you can run out of water, which is very bad...
    If the load is small, you will have no problems at bringing it up to slump but it is very easy to over-do it so be carefull when adding water to small quantity of concrete...

When doing wheelbarrows, the higher your slump the faster it will come out and the contractor will not be happy when you flip his whellbarrow and make a mess...go slow

When washing out your drum get the first 2 fins cleaned up really good, because if you are hauling dry mix for say curbs or pool bases it will take forever to come out

If youre ever hauling grout, you need to know that nothing will rob you faster of your water supply than a load of grout especially on a hot day...plan ahead

When pouring a driveway and facing into the road, contractors will almost always motion for you to pull up into the road few feet at the time as the driveway gets filled....
    ALWAYS check for cars first...do NOT assume that the contractor is doing that for you...many rookies get into accident this way because they are intimidated by the contractor wanting to get the load off fast and pulling up as soon as he motions them to do so....
    You will be the one at fault...take your time and check all your spots before you move ahead...
    Remember that the guy at the end of your shoot is most likely a drug addict and you can rely on him too much

Hope this helps

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  4. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Ours are air ride. Automatics. Air brakes.

5. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    You have an air ride seat, automatic 6 speed trans, air brakes. Let me see if I can find my pics of the inside of my mixer. Well I found one pic of the lock up system to put it in 6X6 and low range, one of our pump, a couple shots showing the footings at some job sites, and a couple of trucks that are buried. Don't think anyone mentioned this, but you will get stuck at some point going off road because like someone already said usually we are the first ones into the site to pour the footings and the ground is crazy soft.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      35.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      81.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      84 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      60.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
  6. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Heck with that... I got a air ride seat AND air ride suspension....:biggrin_25523: Whatcha driving a 1952 truck?:biggrin_25523:

7. brinkj23

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Lol no a #### OshKosh with springs our only truck with air ride all around is a 1999 and doesn't get run anymore. Sucks I get the crap beaten out of me on the rough highways.

8. rocknsand

rocknsand Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tonganoxie, KS
    We had one contractor we called 80 gallon Stan. You pull up on his job and he would straight away dump 80 gallons of water on your load. Then he would use a jitterbug to screed it out, it was nothing but water on the top. He would make good mud into crap. At least it was easy to wash your drum out. You really found out who the good flatwork people were.

9. brinkj23

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    This is where knowing your slumps, and knowing how your batchman batches loads helps a lot. If you only have a yard of mud on you aren't gonna have to put to much water in it to get it to a good slump. Now if you have 10 yards on and know your slump gauge good you can have your batchman add more water while you're still under the batch plant so you don't have to use that water in your tank.

You should be able to see almost all of your fins in a front discharge so you should be able to get all the fins clean, you'll want to have one of the experienced hands show you a proper way to wash down the drum because it sucks to have to crawl in the drum and chip it all out

It is twice as hard in a front because you are backing out of a driveway into the road and can't see as good, this is when you get one of the guys to help you back out, and if they say no then you just stop and sit there until they help you back out. Also another thing you need to know what the different kind of batches your plant will use, because different mixes tend to react different to the water you add. If there is calcium chloride in it, it will start to set up a lot faster. Also if there plasticizer in it you want to be careful on how much water you add. Plasticizer basically makes the mud looser without adding water, so if you do have to add water it takes half the amount of water you would usually add. So you need to know how your water valve works on your truck, for my truck I open my valve 3 seconds for 1 gallon. Basically how it works water wise is 1 gallon of water to 1 yard of concrete will bring it to a higher slump. So if you had a 4 inch slump with 10 yards of concrete on and wanted to bring it to a 5 inch slump then you would add about 10 gallons of water to it and let it mix for a couple minutes. I don't know if any of that made any sense or not so if you have questions ask away.

10. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Sounds like a few contractors I know. Pour a whole footer and never move the truck....:biggrin_25523:

11. brinkj23

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Yeah we got one of them to, pour it about a 7-8 inch slump, wind it up and shoot it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.