Frozen trucker case

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Cat sdp, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I never heard about this but it's Unbelievable....Trans-am sucks !

Try to keep it out of the politics forum..

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Yes, I did read about this earlier, elsewhere. Question is, what would a DRIVER really do?!?
    Personally, I would've done the same if I couldn't bang the brakes loose somehow. I'm kinda handy that way, but some people driving for TransAm may not know as much as some seasoned guys like us. As has been said before, pull your TRACTOR brakes only, if and when it's that cold, but I'm sure he didn't learn that tidbit. Yeah, it's a travesty... but it's something we can learn from. Had I been THAT guy, with no better know-how, I'd'a done what he did.

Gorsuch says law gave a truck driver two choices: Freeze or be fired. His fellow judges disagreed.
    Gorsuch would claim to be upholding the law in a pure manner, but somehow his idea of purity is consistently far right, and wherever possible involves siding with big business and screwing workers. Funny how that works.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    It's good the Judge doesn't make a decision on that little scenario.
    Does the employee works in a right to work state and can be fired for anything ?
    We've all had frozen brakes, a little hammering or some alcohol fixes them.

bzinger, KB3MMX and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    1st tractor with no heat ain't happening on my watch....

second dealing with frozen trailer brakes Is over a typical trans-am drivers pay grade.....they probably have a rule that's drivers can't work on the equipment too !

So he drops the trailer to go and warm up and gets fired. WTF...

6. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    Say's his tanks were below empty because he couldn't find the "mandated" fueling station??? Because of that he say's he couldn't Idle.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That senator wasn't the only one that ask the judge about this case,there were at least 4 other senators.

NavigatorWife and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Might be time to start thawing things out huh? :cool:

9. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    The problem is he was asked about the lawsuit, and the suit is using the "cant force a driver to drive unsafe or illegal equipment. The judge was saying that the law does not protect the drivers choice. Regardless of your opinion on what tras did.

10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio

Point made, point taken. Some of us don't have it like that .. that bad. I can work on whatever and however I know how, driving for a private fleet..... but I didn't learn how, overnight.

Had I been in his sitch, I would have done the same, and sued the company. Nope, not freezing for ANY job.

NavigatorWife and Ooops Thank this.
  11. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Get fired or freeze to death? Pretty sure most people are going to choose the former, you can always get another job.

I have no idea what all the circumstances were, but I have trouble imagining driving my truck away and abandoning a trailer in an unsecure location.

- Unfreeze the brakes myself and roll. First choice and I would attempt this before anything. Baby sledge and/or alcohol/ethanol to the rescue.

- Stay put and wait for road service to fix the brake issue. ????? He did for 2.5 hours..cold.

- If not safe to stay in truck, put on airlock and uber to a hotel or wherever, if available in area!

- As a last resort would I uncouple and drive to safety. If it meant my job, so be it. I'm not dying for a load.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.