Fuel hauler paying by the hour

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by PALOU, Jan 26, 2015.

1. pullin trains

pullin trains Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2015
    Sparks, Nv
    we can thank the congress and executive branch in 1979 for that one..that's when they deregulated trucking...and its been down hill from there...truck drivers back then were paid well and were respected...today the pay hasn't kept up with the inflation...many complain about the unions..but you can get the last laugh when you retire with a pension..and don't have to pay for medical and dental...hang in there

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    EXACTLY.... I wish more drovers and people would just take a second and understand that. It's always the news people that try to beef up the story. I've seen and read more than once that a gasoline truck loaded with 80,000 gallons of gasoline rolled over today. Or it almost took out this city block if the tanks in the ground exploded. Agree it still takes a steady hand and concentration but knowing the product and the equipment is a must. We were told we got paid a little extra to ensure that and we all agreed. I'd do it all over again even with the added responsibilities.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    But the real question is would you do it now....?

Not with a major (those jobs are gone) but a for hire bulk carrier maybe by the load going to every terminal in a region. And doing all kinds of stations not just the brand new mega ones...?

P.S. We all know the majors use to hand pick the stations they wanted to do. And would give the crap ones to an outside carrier...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  5. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Ah, the fun ones you've never been to out in the sticks in the middle of the night with 6 inches of fresh snow on the parking lot, only a few parked cars left overnight in an inconvenient spot and not a soul around

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  6. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's why I'm glad I don't work where it snows

7. pullin trains

pullin trains Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2015
    Sparks, Nv
    if it was easy..anybody could do it..the more that think that its a hard job won't want to do it...then you start getting the swift and CREngland crowd.. Fun is getting towed upon a hill with a D 9..because you can't get where they want you....

8. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    We had one situation that goes into the books. A night driver loaded up to make a delivery at this station decided to stop for lunch at the terminal to eat. While he was eating a young man walked into the station around 2am and shot and killed the cashier and store manager. He then walked out shooting a couple of rounds at the pumps running off into the dark. Where he escaped was right where the truck would be unloading. They caught the guy 45 minutes later and I do not know what happened in court. I do know the station was reopened around noon with no word to the public on what happened. I talked with the new manager and he told me that the company that runs the store made them all work cleaning up the mess if they wanted their jobs. I thought it was very cold of the company to do that.

9. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Only thing that really bugs me going into some of these lovely station's in LA at night. At the very least our company tells us if it doesn't look safe just keep on driving it's not worth it they can get there gas later.

10. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I hate going to stores in bad neighborhoods. My trainer told me he's been shot 3 times in 15 years of hauling fuel here in jacksonville. Hopefully I won't ever encounter that.

On another note, I have a big night ahead of me. A good 14 hours worth of work since every store I have tonight is running low. Looking forward to it though, I could use the money lol

Cali kid Thanks this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    4 loads x 9200 gals = $$$

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.