Fuel Hauling Rookie School

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by crackinwise, Sep 16, 2012.

1. crackinwise

crackinwise Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Central Florida
    Thought Id start a thread where future fuel haulers or those just interested in the profession could ask general questions about things other than pay and benefits. The stuff you might ask your trainer if you got hired and started training. Some questions might have different answers based on company policy so lets hear company policy too.

My first question is what is policy on a fuel tanker when you blow a tire? I know some trucks, vans and flatbeds, can keep driving to a shop but a tanker seems like something you would have to stop immediately.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. low fat

low fat Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Ontario
    Up here in Ontario if the DOT caught you hauling Dangerous Goods (Hazmat) with a blown tire they'd tie you naked to a tree, slather your body with bacon fat and let the wolves have there way with you.

4. crackinwise

Aug 21, 2011
    Central Florida
    That actually sounded like fun until you mentioned the wolves....:biggrin_255:

sdlm Thanks this.
  5. pathfinder1361

pathfinder1361 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    as soon as you are aware of any defects that impair safe operation of the vehicle the driver should pull over and stop at the nearest safe place. especially in the case of a blown tire. you don't want any source of heat or iginition near a fuel tanker. in my area south florida, when you pull up to the stop line at the terminal to load, most places have you do a walk around to check for anything unsafe. especially a tire/brake problem. heat problem.

low fat and crackinwise Thank this.
  6. throttlejockey

throttlejockey Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Hammer Lane
    Good reply pathfinder. Its best to stop with a flat when your yanking tanks.

7. crackinwise

Aug 21, 2011
    Central Florida
    Thanks again for replys. Next question... What is the process for loading a fuel tanker? I see all kinds of trucking videos on You tube and you can pretty much Google anything these days but cant even find a leaked training video on fuel loading. Im sure you can not use cameras near the rack but I thought there might be some sort of trianing video ou there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.