FUEL IN OIL 2010 CUMMINS ISC 8.3

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Kawi027, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Kawi027

Kawi027 Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    Even with a bright light its going to be very hard to get any view of inside the catalyst with those hole sizes.
    Also today the 3582 and 3543 code came back, usually they stay off for about 10 days or so.
    Should I try replacing the inlet nox sensor since I just replaced the outlet?
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You can replace the inlet nox if you want. I'm skeptical it will fix. My advice would be to follow published troubleshooting steps for 3543. After checking DEF quality and flow checking the doser. Usually finger points to failed catalyst.

Kawi027 Thanks this.
  4. Kawi027

Apr 22, 2013
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    Update* After checking the def doser (everything was fine),
    I went ahead and took the bullet and ordered a new SCR filter $3200.00 bucks! I am going to install in the next day or two. My code (3582 and 3543) keep coming back at more frequent intervals and I have exhausted (no pun intended) all other options. When installing the scr do I need to program anything in the computer for the new scr filter with insite?
    On a side note, I am curious... besides throwing codes and derating, will a face plugged scr cause damage to my truck similar to a plugged dpf, due to back pressure? Or would it just be polluting at a higher rate?
    I will repost in a few weeks from now if we remain code free after the scr install as I feel that this forum will be pretty helpful to other truckers!
    Thanks

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  5. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    No programming other than making sure the base engine and aftertreatment software levels are up to date.

Keep in mind the SCR is not a filter but a catalyst. It is a flow through device, similar to the catalytic converter on the common automobile. Yes any face plugging for pore blockage can cause reduced power and poor after treatment performance. Depending on which component were plugged would have different effects.

Kawi027 Thanks this.
  6. Kawi027

Apr 22, 2013
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    Is it poss
    Is it possible to have a fautly scr with no sign of face plugging (maybe something behind the fine mesh)? When we completely pulled off the old scr and put under a bright light there did not appear to be a pore blockage on the front screen.

7. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    Yes it is completely possible. Over time the SCR can become degraded and lose its ability to convert NOX to acceptable levels. I would however check your DEF tank for debris, change the filter out and just be sure that the DEF is 32.5% as to not cause any contamination to the new SCR.

On a side note, did you run a regen with the scr off to see how much the DPF pressure dropped if any? Are you still running the cleaned DPF and showing 3's in your regen history?

8. Kawi027

Apr 22, 2013
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    I will check def % today (running name brand stuff) peak I believe.
    Def filter was changed last year
    I did not run a regen with scr off.
    I will check the regen history in a few days to see if the levels have dropped ( I installed the new scr on Thursday).

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    DEF is hit or miss. Its shelf life drastically decreases when stored open or in warm temperatures. It really doesn't matter what brand you use or who supplies it. Its lifespan revolves around proper storage and product rotation on the warehouse shelves. I know of guys who've bought DEF from reputable dealers and its failed the hydrometer test the day of purchase.

Also, dirt has a very negative effect on DEF. Dirt will actually change the chemical composition of DEF and cause issues.

Kawi027 Thanks this.
  10. Kawi027

Apr 22, 2013
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    I did a forced regen the day before we installed the scr and got the hg to 0.8.
    The days following after we installed the new scr were 3.5, 3.7, 3.7 all about 12 hrs apart. I may pull the dpf down and blast high pressure water through it (i have heard others in my area doing this with no issues).

11. Kawi027

Apr 22, 2013
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    Blasted out the dpf with water and air yesterday. I will post in the next few days regarding the hg #'s

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.