Fuel injection timing on a 3406-E or C15\C16 Cat

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by PROSTREET80, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Gear head

Gear head Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Belair,md
    Great info but most would not understand

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Far_Call

Far_Call Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Australia
    Yes I know him very well. I have helped him out many times.

4. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    heck kurt i understood every word that farcall had in that statement!-----------but thats all i understood just the words that is. heres what i got out of it. if you dont know what your doing dont F with it!

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. PROSTREET80

PROSTREET80 Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    northwest AR
    Thanks Mr. Hanney I now understand what you and Far call are saying to the best of my knowledge. That makes since about the fuel rail and the injector body filled with fuel till the solonoid traps it. And I guess depending on how much fuel and what time it is trapped makes the difference on when the injector builds enough pressure to spray it.

So even though the injection is mechanically timed it depends on how much and what time its trapped in the injector body and I see how that wouldn't be spraying it at the same degree of the pistion travel each time. Say if the injector body were only half full compared to if it was only a quarter full of fuel it takes so long for the plunger to build enough preasure to spray it and that would be a different piston and cam positions depending on the time and amount of it being trapped in the body.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  6. Far_Call

Far_Call Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Australia
    Basically all the Cam does in push the plunger down so its just a Pump and that's it.. The ECM decides when and if it uses what the Pump produces.

However having different Ramp rates on the Cam can accelerate the plunger velocity at a Given degree of crank rotation hence some guyz use Marine cams... The total Plunger travel and fuel displacement is the same. also different cams may have a greater affect on the Intake and Exhaust valve phasing and little to with fuel.

7. Mr. Haney

Mr. Haney Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Here is what I've learned about Far_Call

1) he is generous with his knowledge, but he likes to test/quiz/perplex those he teaches at times. He wants you to learn, but he wants you to use your head to learn. You have to exercise your brain while in a conversation and understand the principles of physics

2) is if he doesn't have a university degree in physics and mechanical engineering, he has acquired the knowledge that a physicists/mechanical engineer would possess the hard way. He must have the most inquisitive mind of anybody I've ever met, I can only imagine how much trouble he caused as a small child

3) he has a sense of humor

Thank you for sharing

PaidByThePound and black_dog106 Thank this.
  8. Black_Ice

Black_Ice Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2009
    North
    Thank You to Far_Call And Mr. Haney

9. anthonyar4

anthonyar4 Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Do you know if c15 injectors 6nz are always filled

10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    With fuel, yes.

Oxbow and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  11. anthonyar4

anthonyar4 Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Even at full throttle are they ever empty and needing fuel stock. Trying to figure out if my 6nz can handle like a 1.3x spray and how quick does it spray when at bottom stroke

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.