Fuel island etiquette as a trucker.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, Nov 30, 2021.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    How much room do u guys need? I always tried to be courteous towards a reefer needing to pull up behind me, but being a flatbedder im not sure how much is enough

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    The hoses in the tanks doesnt always work either. That used to be my go to until i did it one night out in gillete wyoming and the feller came out of the store with a shopping bag in his hand, forgot he used the hoses as a decoy and went hammer down all the way back to the interstate dragging a fuel pump hose right behind him. It made me laugh pretty #### hard

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You are correct. They are selfish and would rather stop interstate commerce than risk guessing wrong about which fuel pump blocker will end his 10 hour break at the fuel pump first.

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  5. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

This is the right answer.

Thousands of places to get fuel, pass that craptastic mess, and keep truckin.
    You'll soon be at many more.

6. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I would agreee but i know many guys are required by their company to fuel at certain fuel stops. And the fuel card is locked except for the stop that is in the computer system.

7. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    Sounds like a mutiny is required.

8. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Tanks on reefer are generally a bit behind the landing gear. Some are farther back than others. So it does vary with the specific trailer. So, to fuel our reefers we have to pull up far enough that the landing gear is in about the same place as the steers are when fueling the rig itself.
    THANK YOU for being courteous. Us reefer jockeys appreciate it!!!!

9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    One would only wait if there is no fuel islands free, if there is for sure I'd be making for the free bay.

10. 50WT

50WT Heavy Load Member

Dec 26, 2015
    I'll go around someone sitting way back trying to get the first lane
    open. As said find someone fueling with no truck in front of them.
    If I have to pull behind a truck just sitting there I'll go ask them to pull
    up , in nobody in the truck I'll give it about 10 minutes then. Call the truck stop and get them to call out on the speakers for the truck to move.

tscottme Thanks this.
  11. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Sometimes you can manipulate that system to give you something better. When I drove for Roehl, we would send in a fuel level update on the Qualcomm after each trip. Then the system would generate the routing and fuel stops for the next trip based on that. I would later learn that all you had to do is “lie” on your fuel level, and it would just generate a new fuel stop for you. Of course you wouldn’t want to do this all the time, and I always called and talked to the fuel manager first but he was always cool with it.

tscottme and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.