Fuel Island...THE RULES!!!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Red Hot Mess, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Red Hot Mess

Red Hot Mess Hot Tub Critic

Sep 27, 2011
    Trying to hide from STALKERS

I know, but I am only gonna take so much stupidity in one day. Today was just a zero tolerance day for me and it seemed like stupid was all over my map. Lol

Wargames Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruges

Ruges Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    InMyTruck, USA
    1) I almost never see somone pull in the fuel island the wrong way. But yea I would agree that is a good rule. Most places even have do not enter signs for the wrong side.

2)I use com-checks too, And these need to be done at time of fueling or you will be charged. So no I dont think this is a rule. I have even had problems myself, Got a number wrong, or the amount wrong and had to call com data or my dispatcher to see what was up. I have seen many other people have problems too. Dealing with this much money this many times over many years your bound to have atleast one problem in your lifetime. Consider the driver, they are probly geting way more inconvieninced then you are.

3) I get fast food allot of the time. However there is a place and time todo it and not todo it. If the fuel island is buisy (IE more then 75 percent of the pumps are in use, or trucks are inline, it is not the time todo it, If there is a line at the store this is not the time todo it). But many of times I can go into a place, pull onto the fuel island, go in and pay for the fuel, go out and fuel, go back in and order the food, get fuel reciept, go get food. With the break for food taking no more then 3-5minutes of my time. In some cases when the fuel island is dead I have even ordered food from the restaraunt and have it done before I was finished fueling. So no I dont think this is a rule either. Infact many of the TA and Petro Fuel islands have a hot box right on the acual fuel island, and the only people that would be purchasing these goods are people who are on the fuel island. Also somtimes I dont plan on staying the night at the truck stop becouse there is no parking left so I will grab food to go and head to an agent to park for the night.

4) Cant we share?

Maybe we just have different opinions of the fuel island. I see your point of view as feeling it is just a place to get fuel. And I can respect that by going as quickly as I can.

4. Red Hot Mess

Sep 27, 2011
    I am not gonna teach my trainees to do as I do...I want them to find their own voice and actions. Now if I just happen to have a day like foraging when I do train...maybe they will get a good show! :yes2557:

5. Red Hot Mess

Sep 27, 2011
    Ahhhhhhh....a man after my heart!!!!!:biggrin_2559:

6. Red Hot Mess

Sep 27, 2011
    So I guess I can tell ya about my 3rd TS of the day now.

I stopped just before my delivery to get the local directions and pee. Pulled into the Petro in Carlisle. I'm sure ya know the setup there. I was behind a rig and all the islanslds were 2 deep. Ran inside to pee then grabbed a fountain pepsi. Well there was a line at the register 5 deep and then 3 more came in after me. There was only 1 clerk and she was having problems with authorizing a check for a guy. After waiting 5 minutes I finally asked if she was the only one working. She replied Yes. I kindly said "Well we are all waiting and running clocks!" So she started taking the others payments and guess what...I got Thank You'd from 3 of the five waiting in front of me!! WooHoo! But wait...guess where the guy was parked...yep, right in front of me. Ugh!!! So I had to go in and ask him to move. That brought a loud laugh from the ones still waiting to be helped. Lol. Oh well, that prosing and pee cost me 35 minutes! But it is a new day now and I hope it goes better today.

7. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Only 4 more more days to go and maybe she will be done ranting..:biggrin_25516::biggrin_25519:

losttrucker Thanks this.
  8. 7122894003481

7122894003481 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2011
    I like to park parallel to the fuel islands when I shower to block as many of them as I can my record is 8.:yes2557:

9. popmartian

popmartian Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Red, I remember when the company use to use a fuel optimizer. 50 gal here and there....

then we quit! because drivers complained enough---and the boss didn't save enough.

Today we (SRT) are on a old system.... Top it off and drive 5-600 miles to the next fuel stop. (load is 2800 miles) stopping 3 times a day for fuel is like wasting 1.5 hours on a 14 hour (e-log) clock using pilot/flying J.

Three fuel stops in one day is frankly a time waster. But hey, we are paid by the mile not by the hour! your Fuel Dept loves the savings...

10. Red Hot Mess

Sep 27, 2011
    I can tell you aren't married!!!! And I ##### at random...has no relation to PMS!!!

11. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    bet your co-driver just loves you!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.