Fuel Not drawing from Passenger Side Tank

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Neli, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Neli

Neli Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Crosslake, MN
    I have a 2003 Pete 379 and 125 gallon tanks on each side....

The Passenger side tank does not draw for some reason, nor does it balance out and fill into the Drivers Side Tank.

Any suggestions would be G R E A T L Y Appreciated !!!

Thank you very much....

Neli

Superwav Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RJC

RJC Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Dothan,Alabama
    Disconnect return line on top of tank and see if fuel is returning to tank with the truck running. If so you should have a shut off valve on the bottom of both tanks, turn them both off and remove the fuel lines. Then open valves one at a time and see that when fuel comes out of the valve it is at the same height on both valves. If not then you have a blockage in the valve at the bottom of the tank. Also check the vent on the top of the tank to make sure there is no blockage in the vent.

If all that checks out then you more than likely have a bad splitter valve. Follow the fuel lines from the tank to the valve, it is located behind the transmission mounted on a crossmember. Replace the splitter valve, it equals the draw and return of the fuel from both tanks.

TNSquire and Superwav Thank this.
  4. chevymancooper

chevymancooper Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2012
    turn the pick up back on, on the top of the tank

roshea Thanks this.
  5. rshakin

rshakin Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2012
    I have the same issue with my set up 379 pete that I just bought, I already tried the clean the cap and the vent lines... still no go it still won't level. It's a car hauler 379 3406e 1999 any ideas ?

6. Neli

Neli Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Crosslake, MN
    I have found the vent tube of the black plug on top to be missing, the nipple that the tube connects to was COMPLETELY plugged up with dust particles, hoping this will solve the problem, I won't know for a few more days. Sorry for the late reply!

Fingers Crossed !

Neli

7. rshakin

rshakin Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2012
    I might check the vent tube too... hopefully it will solve my problem too.

8. Sonbell

Sonbell Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2010
    My husband had the same issue on our Pete for about 7 months. He did all the above mentioned repairs and finally was able to see that the problem was a plastic stopper from a gallon of Lucas had fallen in and was plugging the hole. Once he took that out the problem was solved.

9. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I cannot believe how many Pete's this happens to. Every time I hear this, it's always a Pete, wow.

10. 666Pete379

666Pete379 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Monticello, KY
    The only time neccessary to replace the splitter valve as you call it (actually it's an equalizer block, is if it has been damaged via line removal, bad threads, or gasket leak that won't seal with a new gasket. The valve (block) itself has no moving parts. The only reason it has a sealed top to it was for machining purposes.
    The most common cause of tank levels being different is aged fuel lines that either collaspe internally or crack beneath the sheath liner and suck air or get saturated with fuel until it becomes a minor fuel drip...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    King Michael, roshea and Superwav Thank this.
  11. Poot

Poot Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Glasgow,Mt.
    Mine sometimes wont suck from the drivers side....should a guy try the same tricks for this side as well or could this be somethin different....05 379 w dual 150 gal tanks..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.