Fuel Solutions, for Local Non-IFTA Fleets.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by BigHossVolvo, May 25, 2024.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Hey Everyone,

So my first little pet project, is to help my new company save money on fuel! Since this company is small (Less than 10 on road dump trucks, 15 pcs of Heavy Equipment, a few 1 Ton crew/service trucks) They dont have EFS or any of the big name cards (yet).

All my fueling experience, is with on road/IFTA registered companies. Since this entire fleet operates within the 160km exemption radius, they don't need IFTA or to pay the fuel taxes at commercial cardlocks/truckstops.

So my question is this, are there such things are "non IFTA" Fuel Cards for the big cardlocks? (Chevron, Flying J, UFA, Petro Pass, ESSO etc etc). Currently, the company is using Business Cash Back Credit Cards, and fueling the trucks and 1 tons, at retail gas stations which have the space, and diesel pumps on the end of the fuel island and the lowest posted prices. The Dyed diesel for the fuel trailer (for the equipment) comes from Fed Coop on a small business fuel card.

So, just wanted some idea's, before I go bothering fuel reps, as they can be a little touchy and dismissive if you ask to many questions lol.

Thanks guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    What about having on-site fueling?

4. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    They used to do that, but all the companies are charging an INSANE premium now! ALSO, they basically want a "blank check" incase you "dispute" how much fuel they dispense. Plus the owner tells me, since 2020, they have a bad habit of not showing up.

5. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Don’t use onsite. Retarded prices and your at the whim of when the driver wants to show up. We have petro pass and flying j cardlock cards in our trucks.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  6. Flint1

Flint1 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Alberta
    We use a fleet card and account from Hughes petroleum. 6 units, everyone has a card. Pay at the pump.
    With our volumes we get 2 cents off of the wholesale rack price.
    In Edmonton retail diesel is 1.57.
    Our price today is 1.34.

Any outfits like that in Calgary? Co op?

7. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    G&B/GP fuels seems to have something similar. Fed Coop only has one Cardlock in Calgary now (Where we get our dyed diesel), all the retail stations are run by Calgary Coop, and they don't offer anything discount wise. I'm going to see if Fed Coop will open our card up to clear non-IFTA diesel.

Chevron CFN (UFA also falls under this umbrella) seems to have a decent card also. Petro Pass is expensive, Esso is a nightmare to deal with. Flying J is EFS which again is all IFTA and they want to see high volumes.

***Edit** That Hughes Petroleum is SLICK! that is exactly what i'm looking for! They even have truck washes. Gotta be something like that in Calgary. Its crazy, I've lived in Alberta all my life, never heard of Hughes before.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    Flint1 Thanks this.
  8. oriden953

oriden953 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2012
    winnipeg, MB

does this mean you have left the employ of the acronym company?

as to your question, give bvd a look, they use petro pass in Canada. I know someone from Abbotsford with 6 trucks on with them.

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    What is clear non-ifta diesel? I thought you could only buy that from indian reservations or at the duty free. I'm sure anyone will sell you as much red diesel (non ifta) you want. Otherwise all taxes are in. The exemption isn't a measured distance from origin, you could travel the entire jurisdiction and not need it, but as soon as you cross into bc, sk, mt, [neighbouring jurisdiction] bingo, you need an ifta account.

10. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    So Clear Retail diesel (from Gas Stations) has lower taxes on it than Commercial Diesel (from Flying J and Petro Pass etc etc), so if you're local only and don't have an IFTA account, you want fuel cards that offer the Retail Clear Diesel Price - Discount, not the IFTA Commercial Diesel Price - Discount. Yes if you run inter-provincial/cross border, you need an IFTA account, and you owe those taxes regardless where you buy fuel (buying commercial diesel is basically buying IFTA credits).

So far I have Chevron/CFN/UFA and Suncor offering me Non-IFTA Clear diesel pricing. Right now in Calgary, Retail Diesel is about $1.57L and Commercial is $1.66L before discount.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Ah ok. Wasn't aware AB had a split tax for clear diesel. Only ever saw that in a couple of states.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.