fuel surcharge percentage of the line haul or by the mile?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by BAYOU, Dec 4, 2012.

1. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    The FSC should not buy all your fuel with that said we are spending half of Monday moving the numbers around when we send the weekly price sheet in they look at base rate and fuel the reason they do this is the customer pays the FSC and shipper eats the base rate.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. High Desert Dweller

High Desert Dweller Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2009

Here's how I used to do it-

The benchmark for your surcharge would be calculated based on the DOE on-highway diesel price for your region on the date the shipper base rate was negotiated, found here:

http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/

Let's say the base rate negotiated was $2.00/mi, and on that date the on- highway diesel price was $3.00/gal. That would be your benchmark. This week the national price for diesel is $3.98/gal. So there's a $.98 difference that you want to recoup.

Using 5 mi/gal as the multiplier, your fuel surcharge would be 1 cent a mile for every 5 cents a gallon in diesel price increase/decrease.

98/5= 19.6, we'll round it off to 20 cents.

Now, all you have to do is convert that 20 cents to a percentage of the base rate:

.20/2.00= 10%

So your fuel surcharge for the current billing week would be 10% of the base rate.

syva Thanks this.
  4. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    Ok so if you go off of that it would come out to $3.30 a mile rate that only puts $.30 thats way under what we are getting now

5. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Sorry, I was out on a business trip. Cleaned out the pm box and sent you one BH.

6. Grumman

Grumman Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Locust Grove, GA
    You'll typically find FSC as a percentage on LTL shipments by the large LTL carriers.

7. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    My outfit pays fuel surcharge by the mile, with rates that vary based on the weight of the shipment.

8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    We set a minimum per mile rate based on the corporate average fuel price. You're guaranteed to get that, but you also get anything else collected from the customer. I don't recall a week that the average collected fuel surcharge rate was the minimum rate.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.