Fuel your truck while running

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scatruck, May 16, 2011.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You're completely right. I've never seen a setup like the one he's using. Like I said before he'd never get loaded in alot of places I know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    :biggrin_25513: :biggrin_25523:

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  4. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    the turbo needs to idle ???
    well its not 1945 anymore--by the time you slow down,pull into the t/s get to the pump--scratch your nads a couple of time--the turbo is lots cool enough--with the design of oil today--i really dont think you have to worry about the oil coking up

trucker_101 and American-Trucker Thank this.
  5. Christensen

Christensen Light Load Member

May 24, 2011
    West Palm Beach, Fl.
    my thoughts exactly:biggrin_2554:

trucker_101 Thanks this.
  6. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    In B.C. it is illegal to fuel a gas vehicle when it is running.
    A diesel I a not positive on I will have to look for the decal, I do know that many early "E" Cats would shut down and were a B to get restarted if they got a small amount of air and I made up a rig to power flush the fuel systems because of guys fueling with the truck running and it sucking in a bubble of air. Leaving it running to cool the turbo is a fantasy unless you pull hard to the pump. down shifting and coasting will save you fuel and the truck will be plenty cool to shut down. I have not seen a turbo failure due to coaking for at least 20 years.

trucker_101 Thanks this.
  7. Saienga

Saienga Medium Load Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I posted the direct link to the reg earlier in the thread, but I'll type it out this time for good measure.

It's illegal to fuel an idling CMV unless running the engine is necessary for the actual act of fueling.

8. Svoray

Svoray Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Texas
    We refuel our selves in the field and can't do it without the PTO which requires the motor running.

9. Saienga

Saienga Medium Load Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Indeed, and so I quote myself:

The discussion has become about the potential for flash when fueling gas vs. diesel, but if you're talking about every day, run of the mill fill ups, it's not legal, and that's what most of the throttle jockeys are missing with their pseudo-chemical "Diesel won't explode" arguments...it's in the book, and it's not legal unless it's necessary.

You need your pump, Hotrod Harry and his load of kleenex sitting on the fuel island on an 80* day can lose his A/C for five minutes while he gets his motion lotion.

EDIT: PS- I know that Diesel has a higher flash point than gasoline, I'm not saying it doesn't

scatruck and trucker_101 Thank this.
  10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    A small suggestion. When you quote a link or reference you need to put the address in otherwise it's just your word.

11. scatruck

scatruck Light Load Member

May 23, 2007
    Bonham TX
    Gashauler,
    FYI,
    he did, page 3 of this thread

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.