Full Time Dockworkers

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Default J, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Default J

Default J Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I did a quick search and didn't come up with much. I'm located in Columbus, Ohio and looking for dock work through an LTL company. I know ODFL has full time guys with good pay , But don't offer OT which is kind of a hard pill to swallow. I didn't know if they're are any others that I'm not aware of.

If there's good and bad places for that type of work. I also would like to get my foot in the door in driving. Have no prior experience with that, though.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Check ODFL dockworker to driver position. They might have openings in your area. Also ESTES and New Penn have that too. My company Fedex Freight have driver apprentice program for which you need to have a permit with all endorsements.

At my hub they are always hiring for part time dockworkers, but we are so busy and some guys work more than 40 hours each week. Not sure about other ltl carriers.

Default J Thanks this.
  4. Default J

Default J Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Thanks for the input

I did apply for the position on odfl careers page. They had a question on there asking if I were to be interested in driving one day which I replied yes.

To clarify on odfl. I’m sure they have Ot hours just don’t offer time and half

5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Where in Columbus do you live? OD and UPS Freight are near each other out east, but FedEx Freight is west of town in West Jefferson. I'm not sure if Estes has a D2D program, but it is a hub, so possibly. Maybe also check out Pitt-Ohio, which is near Estes. Don't bother with Dayton Freight unless you are okay starting part time.

I do know that despite the lack of overtime, OD pays dockworkers very well compared to other carriers.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Default J Thanks this.
  6. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Here's my thoughts on dockworking:

It's not a bad gig, money-wise. $28 and mostly palletized freight here at UPSF, and i'm sure most of the other LTL carriers are similar. So you're mostly on the forklift. This is not bad considering a person out of high school (or even IN high school) could land this and in 4 years be making 95K or higher.

If you don't mind late night/early morning hours----you may have to do these shifts for a while AND possible extreme cold and/or heat (most docks do not have doors, but even ones that do, it doesn't help a whole lot), then go for it!

A Phd in physics "only" pays 95K, and what about all that student debt? Now, physics is probably more interesting though...........

i wouldn't dockwork myself because i think it's boring, but that's just me.

Default J and Fuelinmyveins Thank this.
  7. Default J

Default J Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I’m currently on the east side of Columbus. Been bouncing around since I’ve got back to town. I’m familiar with warehouse work is what I do now. Actually work for a place that ships out pallets of construction materials to majority of ltl companies.

I’ve heard it gets pretty cold in the winter time which scares a lot of people off. Hoping odfl gives me a call. Currently driving an hour one way to my current job smh

8. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    What is the top rate for dock workers at UPSF? Realistically speaking are dock workers getting any overtime at all? A buddy of mine got an offer at UPSF and they couldnt even assure him he'd get 40 hours a week, so i dont know how $28 an hour comes out to $95k. Unless you are referring to dock to driver and maxing out as a driver in four years.

9. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    Yes, it does depend on terminal----for dockworkers and drivers. i know one worker at one terminal is definitely getting 60+ hours a week. And, at another terminal, the guys are 10-12hrs per day.

The top rate for dockers is $28.05, $28,30 for Leadman(which i assume is the top guy/gal). Like i said----a pretty good gig that does not require a college degree or any type of technical or vocational training.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  10. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    P.S.
    Without spilling too much, the guy doing 60hrs drives a Kia, so i guess he's frugal and maybe invests more. The guys getting 10-12 drive the suburbans.

i drive a 2001 hand me down most of the time recently. And then an (edited) truck the other time which i will switch to soon. i already said too much, but if you notice i said suburban rather than expedition, so you can probably figure out which brand i prefer...............

11. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    The bottom line is dockworking is a pretty good deal IF:

1) You don't mind working third shift/in the middle of the night.

2) Can put up with the EXTREME cold and/or UNRELENTING heat. (This of course, varies from terminal to terminal, some don't have this condition)

3) Are good at Tetris or have that kind of ability.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.