Fuller 9513 air/splitter problem???

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by troche, Dec 6, 2023.

1. troche

troche Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2023
    I have an 87 ford 8000 with a fuller 9513 and I can’t split in high range. Low and direct drive are the same speed. One I get into overdrive there is no splitting. Allegedly there is a new slave cylinder per the guy I bought it from. Are the air lines ran incorrectly? Or is this a bigger issue? Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Just a single small air lines runs to the splitter cylinder on the lower left of the aux section. Remove the air line and see if ypu have air when you push the splitter forward.

Do you hear any noise when splitting?

4. Star Rider

Star Rider Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Michigan
    You say low and direct are the same speed, if is stuck in low and not going into direct it won't split.

5. troche

troche Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2023
    Grinding like things are trying to move but just won’t. I have to put it in neutral, select O.D. And wait till I can feel it stop grinding, then select my gear and keep going. As of right now I basically have to drive it like a 9 speed,

When I have the truck shut off and move between direct and O.D. I can hear what sound a like it going in and out of high and low range since it is quite a bit louder then just splitting in my experience.

6. troche

troche Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2023
    How would you suggest checking that?

7. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    What air valves are on the shifter.
    Not saying what you are experiencing is normal but those old 13 speeds don’t seem to shift like a modern one. I have a 9513 behind a 855 and it often will not split without grinding and sometimes loses its place. It’s way more of a problem with cold oil. I have been told replacing the little air lines with the next size up helps a lot but never tried it and just lean how to work with it as far as timing my shifts.

8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Did it ever work for you or you bought it in this condition? What did you buy? The whole truck or just the transmission?

9. troche

troche Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2023
    I took that air line off and I have air when it’s in direct and O.D. Is that correct?

10. troche

troche Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2023
    I bought the whole truck it has been like that since I bought it.

11. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    no

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.