Funding new business using 401K

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Pieter78, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Look you really can’t.

There is a way to use an Ira for business but trucking is a flag to the IRS.

The problem comes into the issue of managing it, when you have a business that requires daily management, that is something that they frown on.

Pieter78 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pieter78

Pieter78 Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I see the following link.

Fund a Business Using Your 401(k): Rollover for Business Start Ups (ROBS) | Guidant Financial

I had talked to an accountant about the 401k business startup. He did some research and came back and said that if done correct the IRS allow it and you do not have to pay any tax penalty or taxes on the startup cost.

I will have to start a C-corporation.
    Will pay myself with W2
    All extra money will stay in the corporation for business expenses.
    When making a profit business can pay back the money that was borrowed form 401k.

If I have to pay a tax penalty by withdrawing my 401k early I will not do it ever.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  4. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Okay, so an LLC ? Are you going to REPLACE the money you withdraw from the 401K? ... from your LLC?

5. Pieter78

Pieter78 Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks for the info.
    If I may ask do you know of any cases that the IRS flagged a new trucking business startup by using 401k or IRA.

6. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    If anyone knows, It'd be @Ridgeline .... listen to his wisdom.

Pieter78 Thanks this.
  7. Pieter78

Pieter78 Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2011
    G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. Pieter78

Pieter78 Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Just passing by Thanks this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Put the bong down right now

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah my own.

Edit - forgot to add this. I have gone through a bunch of audits because of the nature of structure, my accountant knew a lot of how to do the work to make it ding proof by the irs and did a very good job laying out how to use the existing laws to take advantage of them. I had several discussions with the irs and others to keep me out of trouble.

I set up the company I had to Leverage the money I was making into a retirement. I had to setup a self-directed Ira and have someone manage the company (** this means that you can’t be involved with the management per se). When the assets grew enough that I could leverage them into a loan and where I could move the assets to another company, I had to borrow money to buy the company from the Ira and the company assumed the debt which was paid off within a year.

The problem with the 401k thing is according to the irs, it has to be really tight setup to prevent conflict of interest issues that crop up. This was discussed at length with them when I had my first full audit. The self-direct Ira is easier to deal with.

The thing about these ads and the info, they are there to sell a service and if there is after service problems, they may not be able to support you or correct the issues.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.