Furor rages despite Imus’ apology for remark

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Cybergal, Apr 8, 2007.

1. joshleb

joshleb Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2007
    The question was asked last night, "Who get's to be the arbitor of 'what is offensive'?" Its a great question. Some people would have found the panelist calling Hannity "Cracker" and "Honky". Hannity just laughed and understood the panelist's (Patrice" from MTV) point. Patrice went on to say that the word "######" has a completely different meaning today than 100 years ago. HIs main point was that if it offends you then you are giving away your power. If you missed it, there were 4 black guests and Hannnity and Colmes. Patrice just wanted to be able to say whatever HE wanted. Was Imus out of line? ABSOLUTELY! But you have to keep things in perspective. I personally don't listen to him OR Howard Stern OR Bill Maher OR Rosie O'Donnell. I know thier positions so I turn them off. But I will not call for thier removal or firing. Its still America and freedom of speech still applies. :biggrin_25523:Everyone needs to "Lighten up, Frances".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

See its OK to make fun of themselves, but not OK for a white guy to agree with them.

:biggrin_25526: :biggrin_25526: :biggrin_25526: makes no sense.

4. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    That's a mild comment compared to what Howard Stern has said over the years.:biggrin_25523:

5. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Really though, the point is that Imus has made fun for years of the rich and powerful and the publicly known. And that's fine, since they can fight back on relatively equal terms since they too have access to microphones.

What bothers me here is that this team of female basketball players did a very creditable job and played theie way to second place in the nation. Instead of being able to savor their triumph and enjoy the magnitude of the things they acheived, they were thrust into the middle of the great race debate without anyone asking if they wanted to be there. This isn't the team that made it to the mens finals, where darn near every player is going to get a big contract and go on into the NBA and make big bucks. Most of these gals are truly student athletes, and few of them will make a living from sports after they graduate. They deserve better than to have this thrown onto their shoulders.

That;s the part of this that has gotten lost in the debate. These girls are victims, and what should be one of the highlights of their lives has been tossed into the gutter through a thoughtless act of non humor on the radio. To hell with listening to Imus apologize yet again, I'd much rather take the time to listen to what these girls have to say about what they accomplished. my 02.

6. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Yes but, I have to wonder if an insult of this nature would have been just as bad and in the news every 5 minutes if it would have been said by a black radio talk show host?

Would there be White Pastor's and White organizations coming to the front as well?

7. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    MSNBC drops simulcast of Don Imus show

4/11/07
    article continues

8. MNHillyBilly

MNHillyBilly Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    This reminds me of the Janet Jackson Super Bowl incident a few years back.

O the outrage, "How dare she! there were children watching!, this is supposed to be a family event!"

All over half a second of a blurred nipple. I saw it, but it was so fast I wasn't sure what I saw until the news the next day.

What didn't escape me was, that prior to the "malfunction", we all sat through a good 10 - 15 minutes of half naked dancers simulating oral, anal, and every other kind of sexual position you can find in the Kama Sutra.

Now where was the outrage about that?

That was ok for the kids to see??

This is a mole hill. give him his 20 lashes and lets move on. This is non-news.

9. joshleb

joshleb Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2007
    The Rutgers girls are not "victims". C'mon! Imus was wrong. But to say that the Rutgers girls were victims is rediculous! Not one of them has spoken out about being victimized. On the other hand, they have handled the whole situation with class. Those are some very strong well rounded young women and this too shall pass. Its unfortunate, but who didn't see this coming if you have listened to/watched Imus over the years. I still don't see the difference of JJ talking about "Hymietown" or the "Tawanda Brawley" case with Rev Sharpton. But THEY still are allowed to get on their soapbox. I did hear Sharpton on O'Reilly last night and he claims that he will go after rappers who use similar terminologies. If so... then that's something good coming out of this. Tick Tock.

10. dstockwell

dstockwell Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    NEW YORK (CNN) -- Amid the outcry over his on-air racial slur last week, shock jock Don Imus said Thursday that he had "apologized enough" and that he will not go on "some talk show tour."

"I'm not going to go talk to Larry King or Barbara Walters or anyone else," Imus said on his radio show, which originates from WFAN-AM in New York and is syndicated nationally by Westwood One, both of which are managed by CBS Corp.

"The only other people I want to talk to are these young women at the team, and then that's it," Imus said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/12/imus.rutgers/index.html

11. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    I think Don Imus made his biggest mistake by going on the Rev. Al Sharktons radio show. He doesn't owe anyone an apology except the Rutgers Girls Basetball team. I can't tell you how many times a day I hear these same type of racial slurs towards "blacks" from blacks on TV, and radio everyday. If the black community is so upset, than they need to set a higher standard for their own. If you don't like hearing it, than tell the rappers, the DJS, the black comedians to stop making it an accepted attitude. It shouldn't matter if it comes from a black entertainer or white entertainer, if it's demeaning, than it's demeaning no matter who says it.

I'm a 40 year old white guy, some of things I watch and hear on TV and radio actually shock me. I'm pretty liberal to some of this stuff, but it seems to be competetion on pushing the envelope, and black entertainers are the cheifs of this media. I ge so sick of the black entertainment community setting up this "gangster", "ghetto" sterotype, and then complain when people accept it. lol They want to make millions of dollars on this sterotype, but if you call them out on it, you're a racist.

Did the Rutgers Basketball team deserve this, absoultely not. Does Don Imus deserve to put to the flames, no. Blacks themsleves are to blame for this attitude and sterotype idea. That's my two cents worth anyway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.