Future FL Dump O/O....

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by yenko boy, Mar 14, 2007.

1. yenko boy

yenko boy Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Basically Im starting up my own business Im still about 6 months to a year off from buying the dump truck and getting started. Right now im making contacts and getting a business plan togather. Im going to start with one truck and hopfully add another within a year of starting this business. I live in Tampa/St.Petersburg Fl and Im trying to find out if there are any guys on this site in the near area or really anyone from florida period can chime in also. What are the specs of your trucks and what are some suggestions on things I should know for a truck thats gonna be working in FL. I basically trying to spec out a truck that going to suit my needs. I don't plan on doing heavy duty constructions sites right away, that will be further down the road. Right now the truck will be doing dirt, gravel, sand,asphalt ect. Also are you guys in Fl charging hourly or by the ton. And if you don't mind me asking what is my area or florida in general averaging in an hourly rate or by the ton. Thanks alot guys....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CMoore

CMoore Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Manassas, VA
    I don't know if this is going to help you seeing as how I'm in NoVA but we've got one tri-axle and get $56 / hr.

4. Martin97

Martin97 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2007
    NE, Oregon
    Hourly is what I see most O/O dump owners getting.. here in Oregon they paid 68.00 an hour on a state hwy job in my area last year.

5. Matthews

Matthews Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    I hope you dont mind me saying this.

I've got close to 3 close friends who are trying to sell or lease their dumps.

REASON: They are 2 / 3 weeks behind on payments and 1 guy is loosing his rear on a loan right now.

ALL of them say and I agree: Purchase a multi use truck. Dump work is cut throat and if you dont have GOOD work/contacts you'll loose your ### fast.

TRACTOR Trailer: Stick a wetline on it and run DUMP in the summer, Yes it's great moneys. And in the winter months you dont have to fight others at your local SALT mine to get a paycheck. Take the truck and LEASE it doing what ever suits your fancy. You dont have that flexibility with a TRI axle dump.

If im wrong please correct me.
    All the best,
    Matthew

6. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    YEp one of my most successful buddies has a dump trailer,hauling dirty dirt,when that slows down he pulls his reefer from ne to fl and back,he used to have a flatbed also,but I think he gave that up. And by the way,he has one truck now,a 1980 pete,w a 600 cummins hot rod motor ,and its mint julip green inside and you can eat off the floor,but I wouldn't, emerald green on outside with a custom triple sleeper,had it since new and he does great,but works hard when he does.

7. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

I knew 2 Dump truck Company owners. They were able to make it cause they had contracts with the either Crusher/Quarrery, or to haul in sand for a concrete company.

In Tampa /St Peterburg area you should be able to stay busy year round. Many on here who have mentioned running in summer the dump adn haul other during winter has to cause of WX, but in that area it warm year round.

Good Luck..

8. yenko boy

yenko boy Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Hey buck I just sent you a Pm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.