Future of Trucking - Automation concern

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by RussianBearTruckeR, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Not supposed to bring religion into anything anymore, can't be an act of God can't use that one. Last I had heard the authoritys do not believe in accidents, somebody, somewhere, is always at fault.

fordconvert and adayrider Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    If you listen to the news you wont ever want to leave home and even there you wont feel safe. The only way to know for sure is wait and see. As for them taking God out of the equation that comes as no surprise to me. The Bible predicted that would happen before the end came 2000 years ago

fordconvert Thanks this.
  4. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Yea, don't listen to or watch the news for too much of the day, and be aware that for every bad thing you hear about 3 good things happened.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    That would be political suicide. What would they do, just declare it illegal to drive your current ride? Sounds like restricting free travel to me. And how are the people supposed to adapt to that? Forced into buying the new technology? It is still very expensive. When it becomes as common place as seat belts... it may be possible. They'd have to grandfather in all current vehicles. And at the end of the day, the consumer still has to decide to part with their money to buy it. Which I see a whole lot of people saying they aren't paying extra for that.

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  6. DenBob

DenBob Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    My thoughts are that when I see a trailer that unseals and opens its own doors, I will know that those hyping 'driverless trucks' are maybe 1% down the road to their goal. This would be about the simplest hurdle facing these geniuses...others will be MUCH more expensive and complex and long in coming. Everything I see on this front are bold claims and marketing to attract attention and capital, and little or no actual achievement or even serious discussion of what incremental tasks need to be accomplished on our way to Autonomous Utopia.
    As for Tesla, I've driven 100 odd thousand miles a year for years and the next Tesla vehicle I see on the road will be my first. No, I take that back. I saw a "Tesla Mobile Service' vehicle once......it was a Ford cargo van.

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I cannot wait 3-4 weeks for my figit device!!

SteerTire Thanks this.
  8. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    20 years minimum. Meanwhile, just stay up to date on the new tech that does come into the chain.

Automation can’t fuel, can’t apply chains, fails miserably when it comes to indentifying REAL hazards.

I’ll share 2 known facts with you, that every driver with experience WILL validate.

#1 I’ve used collision mitigation for over 5 years. I can’t tell you the number of times it slammed the brakes when it detected the shadow of an overpass, or a sign in a curve.

#2 The recent death of a pedestrian In Arizona. Because it failed to detect that person. The human operator, was to busy F’n with his phone to override.

The tech is good. But it’s not ready for prime time.

BTW, tech is not moving rapidly in this field. That’s a complete myth. It’s actually been in test phase since the mid 80’s.

9. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    :rolleyes: Miss the pet rock days? ;)

Bakerman Thanks this.
  10. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I think on about the same level. But I also think companies are stoking and promoting the hype to give drivers a feeling of job insecurity.

I lose no sleep ever on this topic.

DenBob Thanks this.
  11. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    He can't sell his cars, he's got a long ways to go before he'll be any sort of competition in trucks. From the nightmare stories I've heard of tesla ownership you couldn't pay me to use one for a daily driver.

DenBob Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.