Future of Trucking - Automation concern

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by RussianBearTruckeR, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RussianBearTruckeR

RussianBearTruckeR Heavy Load Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    These 6 companies are leading the autonomous truck race
    • this isn't a comprehensive list either, there's other international companies also building autonomous trucks already...And I Will continue to watch Tucker+Hannity+Jones+many others PAL! If you enjoy Don Lemon to turn his head and look back at you with a smile, that's fine by me, anyone is free to tune into & read whatever content they enjoy gobbling up...And there are more companies jumping on the bandwagon of autonomous truck tech building...

Pumpkin Oval Head Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RussianBearTruckeR

RussianBearTruckeR Heavy Load Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    and you have a right to be concerned & monitor this development as I am - that's just the right way to go about it by at least staying informed & not apathetic...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rkforce/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a384d9502b33 there's many articles out there & these are speculative projection but once again, it's healthy to stay informed...

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Good articles. But they all have drivers. I have yet to see a truck that would be driverless. Has anyone?

Rugerfan Thanks this.
  5. mugurpe

mugurpe Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    Volvo has a driverless conecept without a cab/seat. They've not made a prototype yet. It looks like the trucks in the last wolverene movie. There's an article in one of those trucking trade magazines they send to everyone. "fleetmanager" or something like that.

6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Like I said before, nobody has said they're here already.

7. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    RussianBearTruckeR Thanks this.
  8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    It was six teams, not six convoys, and this happened 2 1/2 years ago when everybody was buzzing about driverless trucks taking over the industry. They also had drivers behind the wheel of every truck. Things have quieted down quite a bit since then. Probably because somebody asked the question, who's going to get sued the most when one of these trucks kills some people? When you have a human driver and there is an accident, it's either the driver's fault or a malfunction of the equipment. When an autonomous truck kills somebody, you have the truck manufacturer, the software designer, and a long list of other companies who had a hand in making the technology and who are now liable. Lawyers will have a free for all when (if ever) these things hit the road.

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

RussianBearTruckeR Thanks this.
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    This paragraph sums it all up for me. I know at least a dozen commercial drivers that have logged over a million miles without a single accident, fender bender or otherwise.

The service debuting Wednesday marks a significant milestone for Waymo, a company that began as a secretive project within Google in 2009. Since then, its cars have robotically logged more 10 million miles on public roads in 25 cities in California, Arizona, Washington, Michigan and Georgia while getting into only a few accidents — mostly fender benders.

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

You are comparing experienced Class-A drivers with a technology in its infancy. What percentage of Class-A drivers can say they have driven over a million miles accident-free? 10%? What about non-CDL drivers?

We all know the trucking industry is plagued with accidents every single day. The 2,500 driver fleet I used to work for reads all accidents for the week on Sundays. Experienced drivers in the class judge whether or not the accident was preventable. Almost all of them are deemed preventable. To make things even more complicated, this same fleet tells its drivers that the major accidents are caused mostly by experienced drivers (1.5 years+).

People are underestimating the capability of artificial intelligence. Besides the 10 million miles of testing, it also has 7 “billion” miles of virtual simulation testing.

CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.