Future Owner Operator looking for my dream truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by MrcleanTN, Feb 10, 2024.

1. MrcleanTN

MrcleanTN Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2024
    Cleveland,Tn
    Any info or pics?

Rideandrepair and NightWind Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Well its White, burgundy fenders aero sleeper, ABove average tires, brakes, everything works. 6NZ 18, 3.55 rears Has a wet line. Lots of lights ect. I bought it to keep a friends kid from ruining his credit as they were going to repo it. Had it detailed some lights repaired at KW as I didn't like the crappy wiring job. I believe it needs king pins and bushings which at the dealer I think is about 2500 bucks 400 for an alignment don't quote me on that.
    I won't finance it.

Attached Files:

Sons Hero, Rideandrepair and MrcleanTN Thank this.
  4. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Don’t see a lot of curved glass trucks with the wing doors on them

king pins, cross tubes, and alignment were 34 or 3800 last year on my 97 iirc

Rideandrepair and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  5. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I had the KW dealer price it for me so I dunno about your unit

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    How many reserves do you have? Hope there is at least $30k, bills need to be paid.

Bad time to get into this as an Owner, capacity is NOT coming down but it seems to be increasing, we are NOT seeing the dropout in the industry as we should be seeing, we need to get rid of a bunch of owners.

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  7. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I bought a Peterbilt in 2023 with a paccar mx 13 and unfortunately massive problems however it is under warranty. My experience had bad signs when I started because I wanted a X15 Cummins motor however the dealerships here in Ontario, Canada didn't offer that option because in 2022 Trucks were impossible to find. Back in 2000 I had a '94 Pete 377 with a N14 no problems for the short period I owned that truck. Maybe the older Paccar motors are better but the current ones already had a extended warranty placed on them regarding the injectors.

As for being an Owner Operator running your own Authority in these times isn't a cake walk unless you have your own direct customers. The spot market (load boards) are saturated with cheap freight barely covering the fuel you're running these loads. The majority or trucks eventually have problems so a a reserve of $60k plus imo is a necessity. Larger Million dollar carriers are buckling. Look at Ups laying off 12k employees (not sure if any are drivers really..) but this still says something about the frieght shipping market altogether including the parcel shipping market as well. I know a few who operated they're own Authority months ago now leased on in order of surviving this market.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    local spring shop did mine but I told them do it all because I didn’t want to be back

NightWind Thanks this.
  9. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Define low

Not worrying about speed or idle im seeing 5.5-6 in a 98, and hovering near 65 mph with low idle time im about 6.75 to 7.25

If i REALLY try, i can squeeze 8 out fully loaded on the flat states/plains.

Tug Toy and NightWind Thank this.
  10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    5.5 to 6 MPG is low compared to the new emission trucks. The older engines are reliable but some new drivers today may not know 5.5 or 6 MPG was normal on them

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    So if im "only" pulling 66 cpm in fuel cost
    (6 mpg at 4$ fuel)
    Vs 10 mpg at 4$ fuel is 40 cpm

And the maint cpm?

Can they beat 20 cpm combined between truck and trailer?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.