Future Owner Operator looking for my dream truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by MrcleanTN, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    Why do you want a pre-emission engine?
    My truck gets 8mpg@75mph I go through about 1.5 gals of DEF for every 150 gals of fuel. So if its for DEF expense, then that is a little short sighted.
    (For the record, counting idling time, Im at an average of 7.6 over the last 60,000+ miles and I run 70-75 as much as I can)

NightWind Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If someone pays$3.90 per gallon at 6mpg that $0.65 cpm. The number changes on the actual diesel price someone pays and actually mpg truck gets. My only point was even 5mpg was not unheard back then with the cat engines. Someone planing on running and olde truck should be ready for that’s possible.

4. MrcleanTN

MrcleanTN Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2024
    Cleveland,Tn
    Idk..buying a used truck not knowing the history the emission stuff scares me a little.

5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I absolutely agree that you can easily get crap fuel mileage on an old truck, the c15 i ran most recently was pretty terrible, lifetime 5 mpg and it took a lot to get it that good, but there was something quite wrong with it, tons of black smoke, never really figured out what it was.

My 2 3406es.... older engines, but way better fuel useage, only a light haze (when cold) that clears in 2 minutes

6 mpg lifetime and
    6.5 mpg lifetime respectively (though i added 12v ac and bunk heaters to both in the last 10k miles, so both should go up a bit...)

But my point is that if the spread between 6mpg and 10 mpg (at 4$fuel) is only 26 cpm, that savings if lost on maint is not great

Knightcrawler saying he gets 7.6 mpg gives 53 cpm and a def 4$/g at 1:100 gal is a def cost of 4 cpm

So is he THAT much better than my 66 cpm mileage when his is 57?

Better is better, and yes thats 9k saved per 100k, but what about the maintenance/downtime, is it actually negligible or better than 20 cpm ? If yes, great for him, but if it isnt, its not really so simple to say older worse.

Number of times ive needed codes cleared, a computer on my vehicles, 0, but a newer truck a mechanic wont even touch it without breaking out the computer

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Everything should scare you about entering the owner op field right now, especially when you're using your own funds.

7. MrcleanTN

MrcleanTN Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2024
    Cleveland,Tn
    It don’t really scare me to much. If I wasn’t going into it with all equipment paid for along with insurance the first year I wouldn’t even think about it.Just after almost 30 years I’m ready for a new challenge

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    don’t have to worry about def while it’s sitting in the shop for 3 weeks waiting on parts

And im not dealing with an eld in my truck either

Sons Hero, Vampire and MrcleanTN Thank this.
  9. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    IMG_0425.jpg
    Completely understand that. Ive toyed with the possibility of selling mine. The wife and I are closing on our house in Florida in a month (almost exactly) and Im not sure if I want to be an O-O out of Florida or just go back to work for someone.. Havent really decided for sure one way or the other yet. Im 67, had my CDL 40 years next month. Until 6 years ago was a company driver, so you are now where I was 6 years ago.

I have a custom 2020 Western Star 5700XE. 505hp DD15, 10 speed, 308 rears. I get about 8mpg at 75mph, and 8.5 at 70. Over the last 60,000 miles, counting idle time, Im averaging 7.6 mpg. Single 82" bunk, tan leather and cherry wood interior. Leather heated driver seat (I live in Minnesota) and block heater. Refrigerator (that I havent used in 2 years, but I DID check it a few weeks ago, it still works). Disk brakes all around. I replaced the steers about 50,000 miles ago. Drives are still original and have a little rubber left (full of fuel, the steers are 10,800 pounds so they wear faster). Only damage that was done to it was I hit a deer about 3.5 years ago that took out the left fender (insurance covered it). For the past 2 years I have just run from Minneapolis to Green Bay and back once a week (about 650mi round trip). I dont smoke, but I do take 2 of my dogs with me.

The truck has just over 250,000 miles on it (252k maybe?) and is still under its extended warranty for almost 4 years. Im leased to Landstar so the truck is inspected every 120 days.

IMG_0269.jpg

MrcleanTN Thanks this.
  10. MrcleanTN

MrcleanTN Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2024
    Cleveland,Tn
    This!

Sons Hero and Vampire Thank this.
  11. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    The downtime waiting for some stupid sensor from China will cost more than the extra fuel for a pre emission engine .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.