FYI: Illinois 3/28

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Pedigreed Bulldog, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Illinois State Police Press Release

SPRINGFIELD, IL – Illinois State Police (ISP) today announced a special enforcement detail dedicated in honor of fallen Trooper James Sauter, who was killed in the line of duty on March 28, 2013, when his ISP squad was struck by a truck tractor semi-trailer on I-294 southbound at Willow Road. The announcement marks the fifth consecutive year of this detail held in honor of his memory, a legacy of courage, honor, and duty.
    The 24-hour statewide detail will commence on March 28, 2018, at midnight. The detail will focus on making Illinois roads safer through motor carrier safety checks and commercial
    motor vehicle (CMV) enforcement. ISP Troopers will ensure CMV drivers are properly licensed; their equipment is safe; and their logbooks are completed. CMV long-haul drivers are restricted to 70 hours of driving per week and are required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to maintain a logbook documenting the number of hours they have driven each day.
    “With each motor carrier inspection completed, we are not only identifying safety violations and removing unsafe equipment and drivers from the roadways; we are making ourselves visible, which ultimately changes unsafe driving behaviors,” said ISP Director Leo P. Schmitz.
    On September 8, 2015, the Willow Road Overpass was dedicated as the “Trooper James Sauter Memorial Overpass” in Trooper Sauter’s memory.
    Please remember to GIVE THEM DISTANCE – Scott’s Law, also known as the “Move Over” law, states that when approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, other drivers shall yield the right-of-way by making a lane change and reducing speed and proceeding with due caution. Effective January 1, 2017, Scott’s Law was expanded to require motorists to Mover Over for all stationery vehicles. If you see flashing lights, PLEASE Move Over. The Move Over Law is intended to protect all of us. Please respect other motorists and drive courteously.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I wish they'd set up along roadside with what appears to be someone with a broken down vehicle, then have 50 cruisers pulling people over just past for not moving over. One of the many things right at the top of my list of dumb stuff others do that is actually dangerous out here.

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Trooper James Sauter is a national hero and truck drivers are potential threat to national security. this is what I understood from this bs release.

drvrtech77 and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    What I found interesting is that according to this release, we can drive 70 hours per week and only have to log our driving hours.

They could actually do that IF they wanted to. Illinois amended the "move over" law a year or two ago...used to only apply to "emergency vehicles"...now it covers broke down vehicles on the shoulder with the hazards on.

mhyn Thanks this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    That'd be what they've always thought of truck drivers but it'll be all better when they have driverless trucks I'm sure.

mhyn Thanks this.
  7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I find it interesting that they say that every inspection results in safety violations found and unsafe drivers removed from the road.

Sounds like a bit of bias going into the inspections.

mhyn, bzinger and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    That might be true

If the set up outside the ports and rail heads lol

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Hell, driverless cars are already mowing down pedestrians, so it's doubtful that would prevent another incident such as that which they are memorializing with their blitz.

drvrtech77, mhyn and bzinger Thank this.
  10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Oh I'm aware of that I can see it happening more often instead of preventing anything, all the roving dot officers will end up being accident investigators. Wonder if the driverless truck will stop or think it's a bump in the road?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.