Galaxy DX 44V radio & fuse question

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by HopeOverMope, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why are you assuming that these radios are just like hot rods, the amount of money you have the faster you go.

If you are hitting 1 to 2 now, an "export" or 10 meter radio won't help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Ok. Thanks

4. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Got a Wilson 5000 up, seems to do real good at short distance. Maybe I do get more than 2 miles I was just estimating down a bit. Seems like guys like the Stryker antenna over the Wilson. My coax could probably be better. Idk I thought maybe a better radio could utilize my antenna setup better. Guess that’s not exactly how that works lol? I know the antenna and coax has a lot to do with it, I definitely picked that much up over the years!

5. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Personally I don't care to spend hundreds of $$'s on a radio just to talk on the CB band. But that's just my personal opinion. I can talk 5 or more miles easily with my 4 watt Cobra 25, with a 4ft Hustler antenna. Now you said you are using a Wilson 5000 antenna. I was wondering, what kind of vehicle is this on, is it your personal vehicle? Don't get me wrong, you can spend whatever money on whatever radio you want, that's your choice. But as others have said, the antenna system is really the important thing to be looking at with any Radio setup.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  6. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    87B6E7D3-C837-4552-8385-A8FA598F6160.png
    Ten4. I have the Wilson 5000 on a gen 1 Volvo truck, mounted in the passenger side window. It was convenient since the mounting post was already there. I am using the factory coax.

I REALLY want to run a new high quality coax through there, but am iffy about disassembling the mirror, I remember a cb shop telling me those covers break easily and don’t snap back together well (sometimes). So I think that’s why I was hesitant. But I might do it anyways. I remember on my Pete I put the “outback” mount on it, that was pretty cool and did well. Maybe I mount my antenna in a different location or find a way to run better coax.

7. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

For some reason my earlier post didn't work, so I'll try again. When you mentioned the Wilson 5000, I was thinking about the Wilson 5000 magnet mount antenna. My mistake. You are correct about using better quality coax, rather than using that factory coax. LMR 240 is a great coax for mobile use.

On a side note, to reach out farther, you may do what Meteorgray does. Since you want a Galaxy radio, you could get the Galaxy DX 929 because it has variable RF power, which you can turn down to 2 watts. Then use a little amp like the Italy kl203p. Of course you'll still need good quality coax. This is just another option for you to think about.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    3 to 5 mile range is easily accomplished with a Cobra 29. No need to spend a bunch of money on a bigger radio to achieve that. I'd be focused on the antenna system 1st.

Powder Joints and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  9. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Ok so, I did end up getting that radio. Got it tuned, it has an original connex echo board. I relocated my Wilson 5000 to the middle of the headache rack. Got new coax made, and got to watch it get made! Got the swr’s checked and set with an external meter. Got an Astatic 636L, and a Wilson external speaker. Pretty happy with my new setup! So far, my distance and signal strength has greatly improved.

Though tonight I was playing with echo and reverb, and my key on is only working intermittently. It was key’ing on just fine, but now the light stays green and I have to key the mic a couple times for it to key on and turn red & sometimes it’s not key’ing up at all... I’ll have to bring the radio back in tomorrow and see what’s going on with that!

D7FEDB5C-AE4B-4B63-A544-F10B4FCEC769.jpeg .

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Stop using the echo crap, seal the coax connection with the right sealing tape and have it checked out with an antenna analyzer.

11. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Ok...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.