Galvanized Steel Siding

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by TTNJ, Aug 21, 2019.

1. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Not really sure where to post this one but thought I would try here as most of the folks that are mechanical in nature have a pretty good feel for stuff.

Weight is not an issue and I comparing the difference between siding my trailer with Galvanized Steel versus Aluminum. Again, weight is not even remotely being considered here.

I want a polished look and I know you can buff Aluminum to a shine and probably can with Galvanized Steel as well but how difficult is it? I’m ok with1x or 2x a year cleaning it with like an acid bath if needed if that would keep the shine.

Certainly the availability of the Galvanized Steel is a factor as any Menards/Home Depot/ Lowe’s always carry the Steel siding meant for barns...which is what I am considering. The Aluminum has to be special ordered...unless someone knows something I don’t?

Cost of Galvanized is 1/4 of what the Aluminum is as well.

I also can’t use flat sheet as I am not taking the current skin off of the trailer. With the rivets I can’t have anything completely flat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Galvavized metal wont shine. Aluminum will. Polished anodized aluminum would be the best. Acid on anything will ruin the shine and will require tons of work to repolish.

4. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Ya I think I realize this but don’t want to accept it, again galvanized is 1/4 of the cost.
    Need to make the determination if I am willing to accept this answer or continue to ask u til I hear what I want to hear....LOL.

5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I guess the real question that should be asked here is . why??

I think no matter what you do , slapping up galvanized steel cladding on top of your existing trailer sides just doesn't sound like a great idea.

6. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Wow factor.

Converted trailer to rv toy hauler.

Photo of current condition attached

Attached Files:

swaan Thanks this.
  7. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Should add horse show trailer as well

Polished aluminum is what is going to go on

swaan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.