Garbage Hauling

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by NewHauler, Jul 19, 2007.

1. hellraiser1274

hellraiser1274 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2012
    nyc
    I used to haul trash to seneca ny landfield for a couple of months they motsly use kenworth....and all of them are sleeper you will need it ...trust me

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 24runner

24runner Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Hi this is 24 runner I would like to start hauling trach form ny to pa what do I need to start the businedd beside the trucks and trailer I mean do I need a contract or a brooker thx feel free to give me a call @ 267 456 0317 pls and thx

4. Papichulo

Papichulo Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I am also looking to get into trash hauling could anybody suggest a broker that ships out of NYC area?

5. CL10473

CL10473 Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NY
    There's a company that posts up on Craigslist sometimes DJM. They have load from NY/NJ and Allentown PA out to Shippensburg PA. I think it was around $25-27 ton.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  6. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Trash must pay well if so many want to get into it. I hauled it for a little bit on a fill-in basis at one of my previous companies when there wasn't work for the tri-axle dump truck I normally drove. To me, the smell and the filth are not something I'd want to deal with on a daily basis.

But if the $$$ are there, I could see why some would want to do it.

7. CCL transport

CCL transport Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Rochester NH
    Im also looking at hauling trash in NH to the Rochester NH Landfill Does anyone know a broker in NH and what the rate per ton is in MA,NH area

8. superman91684

superman91684 Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Rochester landfill does not have their rate posted at the scale house. That is something you would have to call them and talk about. As for brokers, most of the transfer stations I know of are under contract, so unless you went and talked to the hauling company that has the contract you wouldn't be able to do anything.

CCL transport Thanks this.
  9. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    the names u want Casella, WM (rochester landfill), covanta (lynn tranfer station and braintree tranfer station) and probaly the most important danny devito aka Pradera just about everyone goes through him and i know quite a few companies that ONLY go through him. he basically started the trash brokering business in new england and also invented the modern day live floor trailer. i've heard from many people that for EVERY ton of trash moved in ma,me,or nh he makes $2.00 on average. he is also a very decent and down to earth soft spoken man (i've met him a a few times and had dinner with him once) i wish i still had his number he is always lookin for trucks. just be careful not to piss him off he either can make u or break u in the industry up here he lots of friends in very high places like casella and WM

CCL transport Thanks this.
  10. otr5000

otr5000 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I have family in the business. It appears you are considering a partnership in a one truck venture.
    1)-If the per ton amount is not lucrative do not even think about it. You will have trouble considering a heavy haul spec'ed (46k rears) and an 18 speed then wondering what the fuel mileage would be.
    2)-A lot of companies go with Mack trucks but I have a short nosed Pete. From a maintenance point I would not go with a Pete. I love the truck but parts are expensive. I personally like the 60 series Detroit. The walking floor trailer will be hydraulically operated? If so this needs to be considered.
    3)-There is a lot to watch out for. a)- Authority: I assume you would be running under the company authority you might lease the trailers from. If you are new to trucking this would be the smart thing as running your own authority require a lot. One main reason is you get a company safety department provided. b)-Weight: The weight will be a problem for you and drivers. There are many variables but CSA2010 is real and weight tickets DO show up even though you will be told they do not. If the company does not have a strict loading policy you will find drivers that will not want to pull them, and you will not be able to retain drivers.
    4)- It is imperative to hold a percentage for unforeseen expenses. You did not mention if the truck would be new or used. A used truck will mean higher expense costs but cheaper start up costs. If you finance a truck make sure the mileage is low enough to get a warranty and or buy an extended warranty.
    5)- Tires may be a MAJOR issue and if you lease from them or lease or buy elsewhere tires will still be your responsibility. If you can buy a trailer it would always be better as their calculations on per ton costs will ensure they are profitable and will be like renting from a rent to own store. It is a good thing if you "have to" but better if you don't.
    6)- The mileage is "doable" and a day cab would weigh less but a small (36") sleeper would fill the bill for unexpected problems. If you will be licensed as intrastate you will have to check with NY laws but interstate you will have to use a logbook which falls under FMCSA regulations. Even intrastate operations may fall under FMCSA (as opposed to state) jurisdiction because most state laws mirror federal laws.
    7)- Get a CPA familiar with the trucking industry and Incorporate or LLC- which ever is suggested for your situation. The person putting up the most should be the majority shareholder with 51%. The reasons are many but typically a 50/50 partnership works out like the majority of marriages. If you find the perfect match it can be great but---. Someone needs to be able to have the final say. Research and write a sound and fair partnership agreement or by-laws as they will spell out with clarity the members jobs.
    It might be a good idea for compensation to be at the current pay scale with agreed upon monthly compensation bonuses depending on certain variables. If you are going to be a working partner and have only one truck to start with you must understand it would have to be extremely profitable to afford to draw two salaries. A 2nd and 3rd truck --at some point -- would make this more viable. The idea is sound but be careful. A partnership (no matter what it is called) will be be between you, your partner, and the truck and you can not forget that if you do not treat the truck as a valued member--at some point--you will have serious problems.
    Questions to find out about? 1)- If the truck breaks down under a load will there be a re-power charge? 2)- Does the company pay detainment or delayed time pay? 3)-Will there be state scales to cross on this trip? 4)-Does the company provide national tire discounts? They can buy tires a lot cheaper than you can. 5)- Is there a fuel discount?
    --Well this is some things to consider and I hope of some help.

kee1227 Thanks this.
  11. tobiasrook

tobiasrook Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    All landfill station will not allow over 80,000 into their property and the D.O.T love to hang out there waiting for ya.. I am a local garbage hauler

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.