Gas delivery basics

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Lonewolf2000, Nov 27, 2017.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Gasoline is still gasoline until the company injects its own additive into the product. Ethanol may be required to be in all gasoline so it doesn't matter who injects the ethanol so long as it goes in. There are problems with the temp. so they must adjust for that but everyone has the same ethanol problems. Ethanol is not really a problems if the bosses are up to speed on it. Before Ethanol season comes in the drivers should still the tanks with the blue paste to see if there is any water. Making sure all the tanks are water free. Then keep a good check on water in the truck tanks throughout the season and you shouldn't have any problems. We never had to pump out or address an Ethanol problem in Las Vegas. We sold a lot of gasoline so maybe that had something to do with it, I just know we didn't mess with it.

roadranger550 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Where we had problems is where the power would drop while half way through loading. Our bright engineers made it a policy that the Ethanol could not be loaded evenly with the gasoline on a 10% basis. It had to be spread out because the Ethanol had different temp. and could change the octane. So if your load crashed and you only had 1/3 of the tank full you had to break out your calculator and figure how much more Ethanol you needed so the load would come out to 10%.

4. roadranger550

roadranger550 Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2016
    I live on the west coast. I hear that $22 dollars per hour is the norm for a newbie, but I haven't hauled gasoline/diesel fuel for many years now. Propane is way lots easier to haul and no additives other then oderant.

As for additives, the fuels all contained 10 percent ethanol in that state right out of the storage tanks, and the extra additives, if any, were injected as you filled your compartments up.

BTW, Chevron Techron does work. I have never had any intake valve or fuel injection issues ever.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have a very dumb question, I hate to be laughed out of here, but here goes.

Ethanol is water right? Water does not get along inside a gas engine. How are we getting away with 10% mix in our tanks?

6. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Only 4% of the ethanol mixture is water. So in the gasoline mixture with 10% ethanol, 96% of that 10% is ethanol. Probably too small to make much of a difference.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Ethanol is ethanol. It attracts water. The H2O molecules will cling to the ethanol molecules.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Ask any boat owner(myself included) what a little ethanol can do to a fuel system. 4 percent or not!

9. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    It's that moonshine lol

10. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Ethanol will blend with water and dilute it down where it will cause no harm. Now if gasoline gets a high blend of Ethanol it will damage your engine. That's why the gasoline people screamed when they raised the % from 10% to 15%. The 85% Ethanol can not run in standard gasoline engines, it'll burn all kinds of parts up. Years ago the gasoline industry came out with MTBE which was great for the air and the engines. However, within six months it had leaked through cracks in the tanks and pinholes causing a massive environmental mess. Ethanol is good for the farmer but in the long run it will hurt us all. The gasoline companies need to find a good better air blend.

11. Drivin' Ryan

Drivin' Ryan Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Western Nebraska
    Hey GasHauler, I'm new to this tanker thing here and just started hauling fuel a few weeks ago with a local company. I have a question for some of you senior guys that have been doing this a while.

Is there any particular reason or law that we have to put the camlock caps back onto the fuel hoses that are stored in the side compartment tubes besides the fuel dripping out? In other words do we need to cap each hose every time we finish our fuel drops? Some guys where I work cap them every time after they drop their fuel and put their hoses away and some of the more senior guys don't do it at all and just slide them in the tubes. The guys that dont cap them didnt seem ho have to much of a mess in the storage compartment either. I'm just curious if you can get by the DOT man if the hoses are stored uncapped? I know we have to make sure and cap all of the outside ports off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.