General HP40W conversion

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by juanveldez, Nov 29, 2013.

1. juanveldez

juanveldez Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Iron Mountian MI
    So I am curious by nature.... I recently got a General HP40W as a gift from my uncle. I am curious on a few things, first exactly what are they doing when they do the conversion? and second what does it do? I obviously dont plan on doing it myself ( sometimes I wish I had the know how, would save me a bundle of money) I am new to the whole 10 meter radio and what to know all about it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    Nice Uncle you have! The conversion allows the radio into the CB band, and takes not much more than opening the cover and moving a connection.

Assuming you want to use it as a CB radio, you don't need to know anything about 10meter, just keep it on "D" when its done.

Cost $30-40 for alignment and tune, the conversion is so simple no one would charge while getting the tune done with cover off. Or forget about the tune and do it yourself with a screwdriver to pull cover off and watch youtube on how its done... a 4yr old can do it. <---not meant with any disrespect to OP or 5yr olds.

4. juanveldez

juanveldez Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Iron Mountian MI
    Yeah it was a trade for a GPS plus Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one. That being said I figured I better find out what to look for searched YouTube didn't see anything other than a few reviews. I am still trying to figure out why they would put a inline fuse on the ground wire too.

5. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    juanveldez Thanks this.
  6. chewy78

chewy78 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Are these radios usually pretty good on 11 meter frequency once they are converted? Would it pay to have a place like bells cb or any other place to check the channels alignment ? or would that be a waste of 30 dollars

7. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    They come tuned to 10 meters. Most shops convert them to work on 11 meters. Do a tune for output power and never touch the receive end. Remember I said they come set up to work on 10 meters........So no matter how easy someone tells you it is to make one work on 11 meters, and it is, to make one work as it should on 11 meters, both receiving and xmitting, takes more than what the average Truck Stop Tweaknician can do effectively. (They do get lucky occasionally however and turn out a few good ones....just not consistently.....because after all, it is usually just luck.

8. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    On Amateur radios this is common practice. The fuse provides a weak link incase power leads are hooked up backwards, not a bad idea. I had my 706 wired directly to battery. I unplugged radio before truck went into shop. When I got truck back I decided to check wiring since they had load tested the batteries. Sure enough they had seen the dual fused leads and put both on positive terminals.

9. chewy78

chewy78 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2014
    like using a oscilloscope? and tools like that? i could easily turn up or down the wattage to a certain point with a watt meter. but to make sure the channels are on the exact frequency would be hard to do.

10. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I'm not a tech so I won't get into how you go about it. But, I have access to an old time tech that has all the equipment and knowledge to set one up correctly. He re-did all mine years ago when I first met him and the improvements were obvious. Nobody has touched my radios since.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.