Geodis Announces Plans for Remote-Operated Forklifts

Discussion in 'Other News' started by TheLoadOut, Mar 31, 2021.

1. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Logistics giant Geodis SA says it plans to begin using remote-operated forklifts in its warehouses. The Paris-based company announced early March 31 that it has formed a partnership with Silicon Valley start-up Phantom Auto to supply teleoperations.

The two companies began working together in 2019 to test remote-operated forklifts in a warehouse in Le Mans, France. With that pilot successfully concluded, Geodis is working on a plan to deploy the technology commercially, according to Stéphanie Hervé, the company’s chief operation officer for Western Europe, the Middle East and Africa. “We need to do it step by step,” said Hervé in a call last week. “We will not replace everything at one time.”

Phantom Auto’s technology allows “digital drivers,” as Geodis calls them, to sit at a console and operate a forklift from thousands of miles away. “I am here in my office in Paris,” said Hervé, “And I can see the warehouse with a 360-degree view. I hear everything. I have a steering wheel. I have pedals. And I can drive the forklift.”

Founded in 2017, Phantom originally planned to provide remote assistance for fleets of self-driving cars, but has found more immediate use for its technology in logistics and delivery. In the U.S., remote operators use Phantom’s system to help food delivery robots navigate bumpy sidewalks and to tow trailers from dock to dock at shipping yards.

German manufacturer Kion Group plans to build forklifts under its Fenwick brand that will be enabled to run Phantom Auto’s software. Geodis would then purchase the forklifts from Kion and pay Phantom a fee for the software.

“We call what we do forklift-as-a-service,” said Phantom co-founder Elliot Katz. The remote operators would work for Geodis, which operates in 67 countries.

Booming e-commerce, said Hervé, has made finding forklift drivers difficult, especially for work sites that are far from cities. She expects remote operations will help the company to recruit and retain workers from a wider pool of applicants, including the disabled. “It’s really to make our jobs attractive for young talent and digital natives,” said Hervé.

Phantom’s system also allows for efficiency gains — the same driver can move pallets in Marseille in the morning and in Avignon in the afternoon — as well as greater safety, as drivers will be far removed from any mishaps.

Geodis ranks No. 12 on the Transport Topics Top 50 list of the largest logistics companies in North America.

"Sorry, we can't load/unload you, our computers are down and our offsite forklift driver can't view his screen".....just wait

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Nice. I love watching forklift mishaps on YouTube.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Wonder how efficient it'll be. Operating equipment requires all your senses. Wonder how they plan for a remote operator to line up with a pallet on the top shelf while trying to squint at a computer screen?

JoeyJunk and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    We wouldn't be lucky enough that this would be the end of lumpers.

One more reason why I'm glad I switched to tankers.

6. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Nice. They can replace U.S. forklift drivers with Indians making $2 per hour.

JoeyJunk and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  7. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The movie "WALLEE" has it down perfect. Soon we will all be so fat from lack of activity while robots do all the work.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Nah the robots will turn on us and that'll be it.

9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Just wait until the damage claims start rolling in for all the holes punched in trailers...

10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Anheuser Busch been using remote forklifts for years .

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.