Get this mucus in throat only when on road

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by RockyTopTn4life, Mar 3, 2024.

1. RockyTopTn4life

RockyTopTn4life Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2016
    So on my home time never have this clearing of throat constantly like I do on truck ,, Is this allergies to dust , dehydration ? stress or acid reflux from stress etc ? Also when sleeping get dry mouth .. Think the air can be very dusty from road grime etc … And since can has little insulation with all the heat and air running constantly probably drys you out .. How do you combat this if there are others ? I don’t care for water but try to drink that mostly on road cause such little movement hate to drink to much sweets . So drink less .. Does anyone need allergy pills for this ? Thanks for any help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just talk to your doc.

4. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    You may need to change the cab filters. I know Freightliner has two; one in the passenger side dash, and one in the bunk. International has at least one and it's in the bunk.

Zyrtec (generic name cetirizine) is a small allergy pill (10g) that can clear throat mucus. Take one before bedtime.

Kroger's green generic Nyquil can also do the same thing and is intended for fighting the onset of a cold or flulike symptoms.

Not for mucus, but is best for fighting off the earliest stage of a cold is Coricidin. If you are too late and a cold is set in, then Coricidin will make you feel better.

If your mucus persists, set time aside for an urgent care visit and you'll be prescribed something that should help.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I think you answered your own question, a combination of all the above. Cab filers help some, but the air is indeed dry, and dust or dried road salt will do that. Some sort of 12v humidifier might help, although I don't ever recall seeing any. Now, do that for 35 years, no wonder I feel like crap in my retirement years,,,

Rideandrepair and silverspur Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Drink lots of water. Make sure you aren't leaving the A/C on recirculation all the time.

Flat Earth Trucker and Numb Thank this.
  7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I get that it’s if I eat too many carbohydrates. Too much cheap snacks on the road.

8. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Actually, they make portable rechargeable humidifiers for vehicles now that are usb powered. The tanks aren't huge, but they will keep the cab comfortable with the amount of moisture they put in the air. Some even have a diffuser for essential oils, which can assist in symptoms that he's described.

I bought one for my son at Menards, but they also have them on amazon.

9. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Could be mold in the ac system too.

10. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  11. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Actually, if the outside air is dry, recirc will keep the moisture in the cab. In the winter, I used to put a damp washcloth over a dash vent on the passenger side, and wet it occasionally, keeping the heat on recirculate as long as the windows didn't start fogging.

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.