Get yourself a dash camera!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by A Bug, Oct 18, 2018.

1. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    For 5 years I have not had any occasion needing this camera that I have built into my GPS. In the last 3 weeks though I have been clipped twice from a truck on my passenger side.

The other driver tells me that I ran into him but the dash camera footage has saved me both times from getting any blame.

Dan.S, Rollr4872, x1Heavy and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Yep, they can be a career saver. I won't drive without one.

WildTiger1990 and stillwurkin Thank this.
  4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Yep..... but which camera is recommended? They have hundreds ?

Dan.S, Rollr4872 and Derailed Thank this.
  5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Post the video/s?

tinytim and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I keep telling people to get one, I have them in all the trucks, some have more than a few cameras, and they've saved the driver's ****** a bunch of times.

Dan.S, stillwurkin, MBAngel and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Stinky Dairy Air

Stinky Dairy Air Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Midwest
    I've been meaning to get one for a while but keep putting it off. I'll try to getting into my brothers Consumer Reports account and post a little info for you all, it may be of some help to choose which camera suits you best.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Tech Moan has a YouTube channel. He does gear reviews on all kinds of electronics. He has thorough reviews on tons of dash cams. Even though he's in England most of the products are available on Amazon.

Of the products commonly available in truck stops peopel have recommended the Garmin 45 and Garmin 65 dash cam. I also have relied on the company-installed device but been wanting to buy my own. I'll either use my Loves points for the Garmin 45 or pay cash and get a Garmin 65 from Amazon.

Any dash cam is probably better than doing without while you hunt for the perfect dash cam. You can spend $20 to $400. Just get a cheap one while you research.

stillwurkin and Stinky Dairy Air Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I don't recommend going cheap. For one thing the video quality is grainy. For another they are unreliable.

I got one of those $29 dash cams as a Christmas gift. When I had a deer strike (Bambicide) it had blotchy video before and after the impact, but NO VIDEO of the impact itself for a five second blackout. It DID have the audio, including my filthy language.

So there is THAT.

I use the dash cam that came with my Rand McNally GPS. It's fairly good, excellent video quality. But I will be asking Santa for a multi camera set up so I can have rear facing cameras on my rear view mirror and at least one camera on myself (if just one driver camera I will mount that in the sleeper facing forward to show all evasive actions I take before the Darwin award winner's last rites).

stillwurkin, MBAngel and tscottme Thank this.
  10. jcrack08

jcrack08 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Does it run in the background while using the GPS map, or can you only run the dash cam separate?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Seems like every time you make up your mind everyone recommends a different one

Dan.S, tscottme and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.