getting a CDL "on my own"...with good help?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by KylerLaird, Oct 13, 2018.

1. KylerLaird

KylerLaird Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I grew up driving trucks. I have a Peterbilt 387 with spread axle flatbed that I've driven for several years and I have a spiffy new Reitnouer beavertail coming next week. I want to get my CDL so that I am safer and have some more options. I don't have 160 hours to invest in a school, though.

I'm in Indiana and I've looked at the CDL requirements. They don't seem too daunting but I prefer to work through them efficiently.

For my pilot certificates, I did attend schools but I also used online courses, weekend written exam workshops, and private instructors. I expected that there would be similar CDL resources but I'm not finding them. I did find a couple online courses but not specific to Indiana. There are plenty of YouTube videos on various CDL subjects but the only Indiana-specific series I found was a horrible computer-generated one. I'm looking for something similar to what King Schools does for pilots that will efficiently walk me through what I need to know.

Then I need to find a private instructor to ensure that I'm ready for the skills test, especially the pretrip inspection for my truck. (Maybe I'm making the test out to be a bigger deal than it is. I also thought the motorcycle skills test would be tricky!) Are there places I can go for hourly instruction? Or hire someone to come to me?

Any pointers?

P.S. I'm going to buy CDL AudioLearn. Even though it's not Indiana-specific, I like Audible. I'll report on it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Reason for edit: update
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    If you've been driving trucks around for awhile already you should be fine to just go take the written test and wait whatever you time they say you have to to go take the driving part. You should be able to find a decent mechanic to help if you're unsure on the pretrip part, that's honestly the hardest part if you ask me.

Rideandrepair and KylerLaird Thank this.
  4. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    This is a joke, right? What a waste of time reading this garbage.

FozzyNOK, Cam Roberts and Puppage Thank this.
  5. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    What's garbage or a joke about it?

6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    I was kinda thinking the same thing. Guy has own truck and all this experience and kinda contradicting himself about not knowing anything about truck or cdl especially a simple written test. Then needs someone to come show him how to operate truck.
    Kind of a confusing situation

7. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Sounds like he's just making the tests out to be a bigger deal than they are to me.

x1Heavy and Cam Roberts Thank this.
  8. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Probably

9. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    You've been driving a Peterbilt 387 for "several years", and you decided to finally get a CDL to make you "safer"?

So, you've been driving your Pete and spread axle with NO CDL for "several years", or am I missing the point of your post?

I wish you every success.......

austinmike Thanks this.
  10. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    lol i guess i wasted my time getting that pesky cdl

x1Heavy and homeskillet Thank this.
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I'm guessing you are currently agriculturally exempt from the CDL requirements? I was the same for many years, when I decided to get my licence I just got the book from the DMV and studied it for about a week. Then googled "(state) CDL practice tests" and did a few of them. Next day I went and took the written tests for licence and all my endorsements. I passed them all and I scheduled my drive test and used one of the farm trucks to take it. Passed everything first shot. Then went and got my medical card. Grand total it cost me $239.00 that my boss at the time reimbursed to me... That was about 6 or 7 years ago.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.